Hayward AQR15 vs Pentair IntelliChlor IC60 for 42k gal pool

PipeHitter

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 14, 2012
Nashville, TN
I've called both companies looking for SWG recommendations for my size pool.

Hayward recommended AQR15: My concern is the cell is rated for up to 40k gal. My pool is 42k gal. While the cell may be able to supply sufficient chlorine I wonder if the cell will have short life span due to running close or at its maximum rated capacity.

Pentair recommended IC60: This cell is rated up to 60k gal, so seems the logical choice. However, negatives are a more expensive cell, and apparently only 20% increments on adjustments if not using their automation.

I wasn't planning on running automation. I'd like to keep thinks as simple as possible for now.

Any suggestions/opinions appreciated. I'd love to hear from owners that have similar size pool and using SWG.

Thanks!

Add your location, that will help us help you.

The Hayward is undersized and might struggle to keep up during the summer months. It will also need to be run for longer periods of time which will cost more money on electricity and it will wear out sooner than the IC-60.

One problem with the IC-60 is the lack of fine control. It might do just fine for your pool size with the 20% increments, I just don't know any details of your pool. The other big problem with Pentair is their warranty length for self installs, it is only 60 days. With all the issues that arise with SWG's I would not self install a Pentair system.

Your other option is an AutoPilot with a RC-52/SC-60 cell. This unit has more features than all the other SWG's but is a bit more on the cost. You shouldn't have any problems dialing in the correct amount of chlorine production with this unit.

I'd stay away from the other SWG manufactures as they have had too many issues for me to recommend them.

The other big problem with Pentair is their warranty length for self installs, it is only 60 days. With all the issues that arise with SWG's I would not self install a Pentair system.

Not necessarily true. I self installed an IC-40. The temp/flow sensor went bad after 4 months. The unit is warranted for 1 year from purchase. I called Pentair tech support, informed them I installed it myself and it was running fine until the temp kept reading 75F constantly. I said I thought it was the temp/flow sensor. The gentleman on the other end agreed and gave me his Pentair email address and asked me to email him proof of purchase and a mailing address. Less then a week later a new temp/flow sensor showed up. I installed it and it was reading correctly again. I also have the Intelliph system installed which does allow for fine control. I've had no problems from either system, with the exception of the temp/flow switch on the IC-40.

Thanks for the responses gentlemen!

I did phone Hayward again and pointed out their AQR15's rated capacity vs my gallon needs. This cust svc rep agreed the cell would most likely would be over-worked and burn out quickly. He suggested I install two AQR15. That option doesn't really excite me.

Agreed on the IC60's lack of fine control. As mentioned before I'd rather not buy an automation system just to get it.

Ironically, I just stumbled on AutoPilot and I'm in the process of studying the manual. So far looking like a pretty good option.

Hayward/Pentair lack of DIY support is certainly discouraging from a purchase view point.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.