Pool Vac Questions

Jun 2, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
I have a couple of nitty gritty questions about my Hayward Navigator. I recently refurbished him as he was slow and had a tendency to get stuck. Now he zips around and has yet to get stuck for more than a minute or so. My problem is... the hose attaches to a side vac port and it seems to want to lay parallel to the side of the pool on the shallow end. I have tried swapping that piece of hose out and twisting it in the port to discourage this, but 90% of the time, that's where it hangs out. As a result, it tends to keep the vac in the shallow end and the tension on the hose will pull the vac off the bottom as it tries to go to the deeper end. I can manually go out there and pull the hose over to the other side and the vac will go to the deep end, but if I let it go, it slowly swings right back toward the shallow end. I find I have better luck if I can get the leaf canister (attached one hose piece away from the vac port as recommended elsewhere) to float. Two tennis balls in the canister are doing a great job keeping it from sinking.

So roundabout wise, my questions are:
1) Can I attach the leaf canister directly to the vac port and skip that one piece of hose that always wants to bend the same way?
2) If not, do hoses "wear out" and develop a tendency to just bend and stay bent in one direction?

Went online at Amazon and ordered a kit to replace the side pods (one side was missing about 1/4" of plastic due to wear), wings/flippers, and rubbery feet and got another one to replace the A-frame with ball bearings. I did not replace the turbine at that time since it seems to still spin quite easily, but the A-frame bearings were worn. Easily done in about an hour with the help of a YouTube video.

1) Can I attach the leaf canister directly to the vac port and skip that one piece of hose that always wants to bend the same way?
2) If not, do hoses "wear out" and develop a tendency to just bend and stay bent in one direction?

1. That seems like the right thing to do. Is there some physical limitation that is making it difficult?

2. My experience with suction side cleaners is the hose is the troublesome part. It does have a "memory" and seems to find a shape it likes and go back to it. I think you will simply have to experiment with hoses of different lengths or even other hose sections until you find something that works.

Went online at Amazon and ordered a kit to replace the side pods (one side was missing about 1/4" of plastic due to wear), wings/flippers, and rubbery feet and got another one to replace the A-frame with ball bearings. I did not replace the turbine at that time since it seems to still spin quite easily, but the A-frame bearings were worn. Easily done in about an hour with the help of a YouTube video.

You may need to clean out the gear box. I doesn't take much debris to jamb up the gears. Try grapping onto the hose near the body of the cleaner. It should do three things, stay straight, turn clockwise & turn counter clockwise. The order that it does them doesn't matter, it'll take a few minutes to do all three.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.