Just filled pool, no equipment yet!

PipeHitter

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 14, 2012
Nashville, TN
I've just filled my 42k gal vinyl pool and in the process of selecting equipment and waiting for my TF100 to arrive. I have been reading up in the Pool School section, and wondering if I should dump some liquid chlorine in the pool to help prevent an algae bloom while I wait for equipment.

As I don't have a test kit, I've no idea how to monitor FC levels, and thus don't know how much to dump in daily.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks!

No equipment at all? Please advise about what needs installing and the eta's. Yikes!

Add enough chlorine to get to 2ppm FC according to PoolMath. If you have no pump, you will need to brush the pool to circulate the chlorine so it doesn't sit on your new liner.

When does your test kit arrive? If it's a while, get a cheap OTO test. That will test under 5.0 FC with pretty good accuracy and will test your pH also. It will cost between 5-10 bucks. Worth it with a new pool!

Ale_Brewer: I should have mentioned - No PB this is a complete DIY. It has taken me a year to get to this point and I did not want to go through another winter with an exposed pool bottom. So I elected to drop in the liner and fill it up. Was hoping to have equipment in a little sooner but as with everything life/work/stuff has slowed down my goals a bit.

MarianParoo: Everything need to be installed lol! I'm trying to finalize equipment choices and get stuff ordered. Cheap OTO test like at Walmart? How's this one? You mentioned brushing to circulate, like brushing the walls or using a brush to skim the surface to promote circulation? As no one will likely be swimming, do I need to monitor pH as well?

Thanks for the help guys.

Simply put, if there is water in the pool, all chemical levels need to be monitored and maintained at all times. You can use your brush to brush down the sides and bottom of the pool to accomplish some sort of mixing effect since you don't have a pump to circulate the water for you. Chemicals dissociate and dissipate quickly in water but mixing is recommended, especially for stronger chemicals to prevent damage to your interior surface. That test kit you linked to will work fine temporarily but you really need to get a real test kit. TFTestkits.net

That will work for now.

Get a couple of broom straws and have some one walk with you around the pool and "sweep" the pool. Also get the real pool brush with a long pool so you can stir up the bottom as well.

You can also get a cheap sub pump and put it all the way in so that it moves the water for you.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
+1 for the sump pump and brushing everyday! I did this to move water in my pool around because PB didn't want concrete work going through pipes and filled pool below the skimmer where it sat for 3 weeks until concrete was poured.

I added 1/2 gallon of 8.25% bleach daily as recommended here and opened to a dirty from concrete but algae free pool! My pool is smaller than yours though so you'll need to add more bleach than that.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Update: Received TF-100! Haven't had a chance to check it out yet. I've been dumping 2gal of WalMart generic bleach every two days or so. Trying best to evenly disperse the bleach as I run around the pool pouring it, and splashing it evenly across the middle. I also brush the pool walls/floors every time I dump bleach. Also have been running a sump pump as suggested. So far the water doesn't appear to be clouding or turning green. Weather here has been 70-80 degrees.

Good Deal! Let's hope it stays good until you can get the actual pump doing it's job.

For practice, you could take readings of your house water. Especilly the water you may use to fill the pool. That way you'll know about stuff like pH, CH and TA that might pprove useful later.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.