Help me pick the right sized pump please!

JamieP

Platinum Supporter
May 16, 2011
TX (~30 miles south of Dallas)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
After interviewing several pool builders, we have decided to brave the owner-builder route. I'm waiting on my engineering plans, but based on renderings from one particular builder, the pool is estimated to be about 41,000 gallons. It will be a basic pool with no spa or fancy water features, although it will have a TurboTwister slide and two bubblers.

I'm wanting to pick at least a 2 speed Pentair pump (or VS if the cost and size make sense for my situation) and was looking for some recommendations on size and model. I know enough that I do not want to oversize the pump, but I really don't know what size I need. Our electricity rates here in TX are pretty good, and right now we pay about $0.074 per KWhr, if that makes any difference. Also, we will be going with the biggest cartridge filter that Pentair makes. If there is anything else relevant that I am missing, please feel free to ask.

Thank you for any help you can offer!

These are the three possibilities that I'm looking into and would appreciate advice on. I was thinking that a 2 hp dual speed pump would be the right size, unless someone tells me that's overkill in my situation. I don't know all the differences between the Whisperflo and Superflo, but if I didn't just go in for the VS, I thought I heard the Whisperflo is better.

Does anyone have any suggestions based in these options?

Whisperflo:
h) 1 1/2 hp two-speed (model 011522 or WFDS-6) (+$629.95)
i) 2 hp two-speed (model 011523 or WFDS-8) (+$739.95)

Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pool Pump 011018 (On Sale For $848.95)

Superflo:
g) 1 1/2 hp two speed, 230V (=$449.95)
h) 2 hp two-speed, 230V (=$469.95)

If it's a new build, I would definitely go with the Intelliflo. That's what I put on my new pool build about 8 years ago, and I'm glad that I did.

One thing to consider is that the Intelliflo is basically a 3 HP motor (with a 1.0 Service Factor). Most likely, you don't NEED 3 HP worth of flow, so you just scale back the speed. That means that the Intelliflo will spend almost all of its operating life at less than 50% of it's output. Motors last a LONG time when they are run at that low a percentage of their full rating. Amps=heat, and heat is the primary killer of motors.

The superflo variable speed might be a decent compromise, but I think that the Permanent Magnet motor in the intelliflo is superior to the induction motor in the superflo. The Superflo VS is only a 1.5 HP motor, so you'll be running it higher in its power range more than you would with the Intelliflo.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.