Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Right size pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Right size pump

Trying to get the right pump for my pool. I hava a 12x24 AGP 52" walls. I currently have a Aquatools 1.5hp pump and same brand 200lb sand filter.

The pump started leaking this summer and the back side motor is squelling a little (4 years old)
    1.5 plumbing, 1 inlet and 1 return line 6ft each
    Looking at replacing the pump.
    I came up with the following
    9200 gallons
    Filter max flow=50gpm
    Max flow pipes=42gpm
    Min flow rate=20.8gpm
    Max flow rate=42gpm

My calulations are telling me a 1hp would be ideal and that I may be overpowered now. The only thing I run is a polarus 65.

Any suggestions would be most helpful
    12x24 AGP, 10k, 1 hp 2 speed Waterway pump, Hayward C900 Cartridge filter, Polaris 65, maintained by Walmart's 6% Bleach.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Right size pump

Welcome to TFP!

A full rated 3/4 HP, or 1 HP max rated, pump should be fine for a fairly small pool like that one. If you are interested in saving electricity you might think about getting a two speed pump or even a variable speed pump. Either of those can save you a substantial amount of electricity.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Right size pump

Does it matter if the replacement pump is a side discharge but can be rotated up? The original is a top.
    12x24 AGP, 10k, 1 hp 2 speed Waterway pump, Hayward C900 Cartridge filter, Polaris 65, maintained by Walmart's 6% Bleach.