Need a New Pump - What Size to I Need?

Sep 26, 2015
Friendswood Tx
I purchased an above ground pool in July - it was great until 2 weeks ago when algae suddenly took over the pool. I've read how to slam the pool and I'm ready to try that. However I don't think the pump that came with the pool is an adequate size. It is a Intex Model 637R. On the Intex website, I don't see any info regarding how much water this actually circulates or what the next best option would be. The local pool store wants to sell me one for $300 (which I think is alittle excessive). I have no idea what I'm doing - just learning. Any suggestions?

Hi Ashley and welcome to TFP. The dimensions of your pool indicate it should be around 5,300 gallons. If so, any of these should work fine, be an upgrade from the 637R, and cheaper than what the pool store was trying to sell you:
Cartridge:
2500 Gal Filter Pump (120v) - Intex
1500 Gal Filter Pump (120v) - Intex
Sand:
12 Sanitation - Pool Accessories - Above Ground Pools - Store - Intex
Amazon.com : Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools, 2800 GPH Pump Flow Rate, 110-120V with GFCI : Swimming Pool Sand Filters : Patio, Lawn Garden
Amazon.com: Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools, 2100 GPH Pump Flow Rate, 110-120V with GFCI: Patio, Lawn Garden
Splash SPL6145 QuickShip Small 12in. Above Ground Pool Sand Filter System with 1/2 HP Pump

Please note a couple of these are identical just to show you the price difference between buying from the manufacture and somewhere else like Amazon. So even if you see a model that appeals to you that's on the Intex web site, copy that model number to Amazon or just Google and you'll see other places that offer it as well .... probably for a better price. :)

Hope this helps. Have a great day.

Also Ashley, please remember that regardless of the pump used, almost always any algae is attributable to an incorrect chemical balance (inadequate chlorine) and not so much the pump itself. So if you would like, before you rush-out and spend money on a new pump, you might want to stick around with us for a bit, learn the ropes of how to "SLAM" via Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain to make your water clear again, and let us help you keep it that way. Before you buy a new pump Ashley, I would highly recommend you get the TF-100 test kit if you don't have one already. You can order it at TFTestkits.net, and this takes the guesswork out of testing. Make sure to ask for the speed stir! Everything you do for your pool begin with that test kit.

Thank you! I will start by getting the test kit. Before I order it, let me ask you if I need to also order a vacuum? The pool did not come with one, and I've been using a long handled brush that we use to wash the cars with to brush the sides and bottom of the pool. The pool is partially located under a tree that will loose its leaves in the fall. Even scooping the "summer" leaves and bugs out of the pool left some dirt/residue on the bottom. Would a vacuum help get this up and not feed the algae? If so, just a basic Intex one?

Absolutely. A very basic suction vacuum would be a great idea. Your local pool store, Intex, or Amazon will have them available. Many of them are made to simply connect to the suction connection on your pool inlet or skimmer, then the debris goes to your filter and you empty it when you're done. Also, when you order the test kit, make sure to look for the "speed stir". It makes mixing a breeze. :)

Alright! I don't feel so completely lost now.. thank you, Pat! I'll order the test kit and get a vacuum and then get ready to start slamming. (I'm sure you'll be reading more of my questions soon - ha!)

- - - Updated - - -

One more quick question. I had started this whole process with a salt water system (also from Intex). It never workde correctly and I have just simply removed it from the area. However, there IS still salt in the pool at 2600ppm. Is this going to effect any of the the slamming or readings with the TF-100 test kit?

No, it should have no impact. The TF-100 doesn't read salt, and it won't interfere with the other tests you will do. Since you're SWG is not operational right now, you will simply rely on the "Non-SWG" portion of the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart. Easy stuff.

Pump size

Merged by moderator. Please keep related questions together. Thanks, jblizzle

I wrote in several weeks ago and asked about pump size. Pat had written back and helped me (thank you!), but I need to ask a couple more questions before buying a new pump.

I have an Intex 15' circular pool (5,300 gallons) that came with the smallest pump (a 1,000 gal pump). I understand there is an Intex 1,500 gal pump and a 2,500 gal pump that I can purchase. I do want to stick with a cartridge filter.

Would the 1,500 gal pump actually make a difference in helping my pool stay cleaner or would the 2,500 gal pump be better? There are a lot of leaves that fall into the pool, and I'm fighting the sediment on the bottom constantly. I hate to buy a slightly bigger pump and still be struggling.

Would the 2,500 gal pump be too forceful and damage the pool in any way?

If I wanted to get one of those automatic vacuuming machines, do I need one of these pumps over the other, and do these auto vacuuming machines work?

Thanks,
Ashley

Hi Ashley,

I feel your pain. I tell my customers all the time that many pools like Intec, Splash, KD are really good at providing a an affordable pool option and a great way to test the waters and see if pool ownership is for you. Unfortunately many people get turned off and discouraged because of filtration issues and water chemistry. If these folks would put a $300 filtration system with the $300 pool it would be great but that would really changing the marketing and reduce the potential market. Pump is only part of the problem and probably not as much the problem as is the filter. Without replacing the filter it is like putting a Corvette engine in a Chevy Cruise. It is only going to go as fast as the Cruise transmission will allow.
Try to find a used sand filter and 3/4 to 1 HP motor many AG pool systems come with a 1.5 HP motor and this is ok but not necessary. If you local pool dealer is selling you a system for $300 that is great but I suspect it is just the pump and that is a fair price for a good pump but that alone will not solve your problem.

Good luck,
Mike
USAqua
803-760-7000

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.