Closing Above-Ground Pool Without the Winter Cover

If there are anyone out there that closes their pool without putting on a winter cover, can you please share your process?

I've had my above-ground pool for about 10 years now. When we first got it, we would do the normal closing with the winter cover on our pool. However, due to having a deck all around the pool, it is very hard to keep the winter cover on during very windy days. We've tied down, put water bags and eventually sand bags on the winter cover overlapping the deck. It's back breaking work putting 2 dozen sand bags on the cover to keep it down. Tying does not work, the wind gets under the cover and snaps the ties. The last three years, we have not covered the pool and we open to a green slush. Having said that, we are always able to bring the pool back to clear water. We use the BBB method and I know how to test my own pool. Just curious if there is a better way. I would try the winter cover again but we are done with the sandbags. Both my husband and I are in our 50's and we just don't want to carry the sandbags. LOL!

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hello tj,

To keep debris out of the pool it is generally wise to use a cover for Winter closing, as I'm sure you are aware, but if that is not in your plans then the best thing for you to do is check the pool floor often, and attempt to leaf rake any debris you see in there out at that time. This will prevent the leaves, and other debris, from being allowed to sit on the bottom turning into "green slush" as badly, and should make your opening in the Spring a much easier experience.

I've found that with my cover I have solved the flapping in the wind issues by using clothespins about ever 6-12" to attach the cover to the underside of the frame. LOL it may not be the perfect solution for everyone, but it has seemed to work well for me. I hope this helps. Good luck on your closing/reopening. Have a wonderful day :).

Hi Crackerjack4u,

That's a great idea about the clothes pins. I never thought of that and probably because I've never hung my clothes outside and forgot there were such a thing! LOL!!!!

I think we're going to go with the uncovered pool again but will wait until the pool water falls below 60 degrees and then bring it to shock level for a few days and then remove the filters. The one thing we have found to work for us is that in the spring before we hook up the filters, we throw a submersible pump with hose into the pool and dump chlorine in the pool to get it started. You'd be amazed at how the submersible pump helps the water move around in the pool. Most often, by the time we're ready to open the pool, the water is in a pretty manageable level.

Thanks for your suggestion and we might do that next year.

Have a great rest of the weekend!

Is there any danger to the pool walls or liner by doing this? I've always covered mine and experienced the same issues with it ripping from the wind. I even use the pool clips all the way around the top, but the wind is always stronger and pulls them off. Just wondering if I should still put an air pillow in the pool anyway.

Reactions: jmart
Our deck goes all the way around our pool too. We use to pull the cover down between the pool and deck and attach gallon jugs filled with water. Two years ago, we decided to try something else. We use bungee type rubber straps to hook onto the pool cover grommets and then stretch the other end over the edge of the deck and insert the hook in small holes we drilled into the side board of the deck. It has worked great for us. This is the only picture I have at the moment.
medium.jpg

Our deck goes all the way around our pool too. We use to pull the cover down between the pool and deck and attach gallon jugs filled with water. Two years ago, we decided to try something else. We use bungee type rubber straps to hook onto the pool cover grommets and then stretch the other end over the edge of the deck and insert the hook in small holes we drilled into the side board of the deck. It has worked great for us. This is the only picture I have at the moment.
medium.jpg
Has this still been working for u? How much snow do u get? Thank u :)

Reactions: Cindy6565
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.