Help for new pool owner (pics included)

Apr 12, 2009
I'm moving to a new house in North Carolina in the next couple months. The house has a pool - it will be the first time I'll be a pool owner. I was just wanting a little help with exactly what I'll have. As I understand the pool is concrete/vinyl, 40'x20' - 30k gallons. Not sure how deep it is as its still closed and covered but it does have a diving board. Looking at the plumbing it has 2 pumps, and I think a sand filter. There is a cleaner robot thing but I don't see a model number on it.

Can anyone assist me and explain the plumbing, filter, and cleaner robot thing? The pool will be opened and inspected in mid-May before we move in. I've read the pool school articles and just want to be as knowledgeable about it as possible before we move in. If there are any more resources you can point me too that would be great too.

Any other assistance or tips would be great.

The pool
DSC_0670.jpg

The pool
DSC_0671.jpg

The plumbing - can someone explain whats what here?
DSC_0666.jpg

Pump
DSC_0667.jpg

Pump
DSC_0665.jpg

What is this?
DSC_0668.jpg

The filter
DSC_0669.jpg

Polaris vac - what model is this?
DSC_0673.jpg

Polaris vac - another view
DSC_0672.jpg

Welcome to TFP!!

Given that it's a 20 X40 and ~30,000 gal. with a diving board, I'll say you have an ~ 8' deep end.

The second pump is for your Polaris pool cleaner (the little 3 wheeled dude you pictured) - it's the pump without the clear top.

You seem to have 3 suction lines 1 skimmer, 1 main drain and possibly another skimmer or a dedicated vacuum line - it's a bit unfortunate that there are no valves on the suction line to regulate how much suction you get from each line, but that's not a big problem :)

As with most pools in your area, the filter is a sand filter, very good and easiest to maintain 8)

The primary pool pump is a Hayward Super pump (if you ever have problems with it, I know them inside and out and can give you specific info on part #s and tools required to repair one)

In addition to the Polaris line (it will be a return ~ centered in the pool on the wall) you have 2 other sets of returns (I'm guessing a couple on the walls and 1 or 2 in the steps).

It looks to me like you have a good system :thumleft: Once the inspection is done we can help a little more on which line does what. It would be in your best interest to use the pump on the cover to remove all of the water off the cover before they inspect the pool - with the pool covered, they can only guess, as I have, about what is hidden under the cover :)

Hi and Welcome! :wave:

I'll add one thing and that's a good test kit which you can purchase here:
http://www.tftestkits.com/

Congratulations and we hope you enjoy your new home and pool! :mrgreen: Oh and before I forget, you might want to move that table away from the pool area! You wouldn't want it to break and end up with glass in the pool considering you have a vinyl liner! :goodjob:

Good catch, Casey :goodjob:

Glass tables and liner pools are a great big NO - NO :hammer:

Also, you have a CL 200 tri-chlor puck feeder (you won't want to use this on a regular basis because of the lowering of pH and raising of the CYA - but you've read Pool School and already know this :) )

Its > 8 hr drive from where I live from now so not looking promising. The current owners are paying a company to open the pool and get things running before the inspection. I guess I could always pay a pool company to come out and show me whats what plumbin-wise when I get there. Are pool companies pretty willing to do that kind of stuff?

Neddy191 said:
Its > 8 hr drive from where I live from now so not looking promising. The current owners are paying a company to open the pool and get things running before the inspection. I guess I could always pay a pool company to come out and show me whats what plumbin-wise when I get there. Are pool companies pretty willing to do that kind of stuff?

If they think there's a chance to make a customer out of you, the pool co will probably help you understand what's going on with your system/ pool. They'll probably try to feed you some BS about 'this' 'that' and another thing needing to be replaced :x It's your choice, but we can tell you what may be wrong/ in need of repairs and aren't looking for you to give us money :|

Along those lines....are you are having a pre-inspection of the pool, or just the house? If it's pool specific, the inspector is going in on your behalf, so they should be your advocate, correct? So you will have a list of any necessary corrections and it's up to the current owner to rectify, correct? So assuming any issues related to the pool come up, they should be resolved prior to closing....

If the inspection is general to the house, I would have a pool inspector show up too, and make sure he does a thorough check. An inground like that could be expensive to deal with if theres real problems....

Either way be sure they give you any and all pool info they still have, maybe they could give you a cheat sheet or something?

So once you take possession....how does it all work, right?

Well, waterbalance and chlorination - we've got that covered, piece of cake....

Your equipment....new to you so what to do?....

So HYPOTHETICALLY :wink: :wink: if you were to call a pool company to come out, working on the IDEA that you might be a future customer, they could do a basic walkthru with you, explain which switch does what, and which valve controls which system, yada yada.... they give you their pitch (monthy fee or whatever) and then you say "I need to think on it, I'll call you next week"...

Honestly, by posting pics of the equipment here and the TFP members will likely help identify the equipment, how it all works etc., and do our best to help you figure it all out (we're good about that part, and we LOVE pics)...

Good luck with all of it, hope everything goes smoothly.

You shouldn't have a problem finding someone to inspect the pool for you. I love doing inspections. Like Ted said, you get to be the first person to talk to the new pool owner. I try not to feed them any BS, but since I'm inspecting for the buyer I'll pick every little nit on the pool so the seller will be leaving them in the best shape possible (or with a lower price on the house). In that regard it's a bit more prone to exaggeration, but that's a GOOD thing if you don't own the house yet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The home inspection is done. We're also having a pool specific inspection done. As the home isn't occupied currently we're waiting until about 10-14 days before closing to get the pool opened and inspected. The previous owner has offered to give me a crash course on the pool stuff which I'm planning on taking him up on. I'd definately like to care for the pool myself once I get into the house. I'm sure I'll have plenty more pics/questions in the future.

If there is any room I would suggest building something to shield the equipment from the sun & elements. The booster pump looks quite new but the motor on the pool pump looks pretty weather beaten. Protected equipment will have a longer life span.

Neddy,

You don't say where in NC you are moving but, if it's anywhere near Hillsborough, You should consider Tim (Sphisex) as an inspector.

I have met him and he is a pro in every respect. His knowledge of pool equipment is as good as anyone on this forum. Likewise, he is tuned into the chemistry we advocate on this forum and will not suggest things to you that may be confusing.

I have no agenda..........just good food for thought. :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.