Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rectangular liner in an Oval pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Rectangular liner in an Oval pool?

Some months ago I had a leak in my 16'x32'x6' oval inground pool.

We were shipped a vinyl liner designed to fit a rectangular pool.

Because of the nature of the mistake (the contractor or one of his minions ordered incorrectly)
    and the fact that the main drain was set and cut before anyone figured this mess out the liner is NOT returnable.

The contractor has on more than one occasion told me
    "the liner will be here Wednesday, we'll be out Saturday to install"
    only to turn around a few days later to tell me the order was lost, etc.

A few days ago he knocked on my door (I was expecting him to show up with the replacement liner)
    to tell me that he's giving up trying to get the correct liner and hands me a check for all monies already paid him.

I now have my money back AND a liner in my pool that doesn't exactly fit.
    I'm seriously considering cutting and seaming all four corners to make it fit.
    I could use an extra couple thousand dollars.

Am I insane or does anyone out there think this might work?
    It might not be perfect when I finish but what do I have to lose?
    Anyone tried something like this before and have any pointers?
    If I do it correctly I don't think there will be any weight bearing seams, it could work, yes?

Please be nice, I already feel dumb just asking the question, Danny.
    Jay
    36' x19' Freeform, 16' waterfall w/ groto and slide, 5' x 10' sundeck, 12" raised spa. Pentair IntelliTouch, Pentair IntelliFlo 4 x 160, Master Temp 400, IntelliChlor Chlorine generator, Aqua Blue PebbleSheen

2. Back To Top    #2
    I can't imagine being able to seam the liner to make it hold. There is a load on the seams, because the liner is supposed to be a little too small for the pool so it can stretch to fit tightly.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    You need some out of the box thinking...

Would it be cheaper to make your oval pool rectangular?
    Jim

4. Back To Top    #4
    Have no additional info, just wanted to say welcome to TFP, and good luck!

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

5. Back To Top    #5

Check this site for liners.

http://www.swimmingpoolsetc.com

25 mil liners for really low prices.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6
    I feel for you but here is what you have to lose:

A lot of water after filling and the liner fails
    A lot of time wasted trying to cut and seam that thing so it fits

They are right. A liner has to stretch into place so the entire thing is weight bearing. You really are better off getting a new liner - you can find them at super prices out there and I'm betting for a lot less than the contractor was going to charge for it with his cut in there. Get rid of the middle man and shop around.

No question is a dumb question here. If we all knew everything we wouldn't be here every day checking the board.

Welcome to TFP.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

7. Back To Top    #7

A big thanks to all who responded. I guess I'll start over with a liner that fits.
    Funny, but I kinda looked forward to the challenge.
    Danny
    Jay
    36' x19' Freeform, 16' waterfall w/ groto and slide, 5' x 10' sundeck, 12" raised spa. Pentair IntelliTouch, Pentair IntelliFlo 4 x 160, Master Temp 400, IntelliChlor Chlorine generator, Aqua Blue PebbleSheen

8. Back To Top    #8
    Feel free to use it in other creative ways, a koi pond liner? Boat tarp? I'm sure you can think of something.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by NWMNMom
    Feel free to use it in other creative ways, a koi pond liner? Boat tarp? I'm sure you can think of something.
    You could go swimming in that koi pond
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

10. Back To Top    #10
    TFP Guide

In the Industry

If anything, try this.

We all suffer from rain storms an such and where to hide the cushions and all that. I got an old one here, lined some cedar boxes with the old liner, and voila...tighter then a scotsman on his last buck.

Rik