Is a winterizing kit needed for a 24000 gal inground pool or just

Apr 13, 2015
Nashville
Is a Winterizing kit needed or just a winterizing Ball or aka The Winter Ball ? I had used a winterizing kit for several years but when I open the pool it was nothing but green algae like the lake and takes about 2 weeks of intensive shocking and bleaching to get it to turn clear using algaecide and others. Advise? If use the Winter Ball... do I still need to put like a Floater with 3inch bleach tabets in there and adding more as it is gone like every 2-3 months during the winter or just rely on the Winter Ball alone?

Not sure what the Winter ball does. Generally, the experts here recommend refraining from putting chemicals into your pool if you don't know what they do. I just closed my pool this past Sunday and all I did was SLAM the water a couple days prior and got my pH in range. It was at the high end of normal (7.8), but I have a mesh safety cover and any precipitation will bring down the pH marginally. The next time I will think about my pool is probably early November to drain a few inches from under the cover, making room for the melted snow and ice. Once the water freezes, there is nothing much else to do until Spring.

I expect my water to be a little green when I open it, but (given how my BQ conversion went) I also expect a case or two of liquid chlorine over a few day period, a brush, and vacuum will do the trick come Late April/Early May. There are some who advise adding a gallon of chlorine under the cover and circulate the water with a pump and garden hose sometime in late March/Early April. I figure I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Hope this helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.