CLeaned my filter for the first time

dw9000

Aug 17, 2014
NW Ohio
Well my pool has been in operation for right around 45 days, and I noticed the pressure of the returns was much less than in the past. I also noticed the pump 'filter window' had a lot of bubbles in it, like at startup.

I took the top off the filter housing and it was filthy, from some fence / sawdust debris and other stuff. Sprayed it down with garden hose and put it back together and everything is running great now, pressure back to normal.

I am going to winterize maybe next weekend. Drain down 1-2" below skimmer intake. Blow out the lines (I bought a Cyclone),, I bought the plastic/rubbery skimmer intake covers, plus I have the gizmos I plan on using some teflon on.

Just wanted to say this site has been helpful, but i never did get the water right. Clear and seems clean, I couldn't get my PH down nor maintain the FC. I plan on throwing in some polyquat when I winterize, using a solid cover, hopefully I don't get any winter damage.

Glad to hear you find TFP helpful. It does appear you may still be a little apprehensive about the condition of your water, so by all means, if you have a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kit, post a full set of numbers and we'll be glad to help. You still have a little time to get things in order before you close. Anything we can do to help now should make your spring opening that much easier.

Pool_Fence_IP.jpgI do have the TF100 test kit. I've been using the little blue kit mainly. I filled the pool about 50 days ago, and I added 1 gal of 10% bleach. Tested the water, the FC was at the lowest 'yellow' mark and no trace of PH. I added a box of borax and another gal of 10% bleach.

From that day forward my PH was like 8 and my FC would show mid range on tester, 2 days later it would be almost non existent but PH was still high.

I added some conditioner, then some PH reducer. Added another gal of 10% bleach. My bleach was bought in early spring so it likely has weakened substantially

That has been going on for a couple weeks, the water is crystal clear so it wasn't bother me too much.

I tried the CYA test, and the black dot never disappeared?

I need to run the full set of tests and post that.

I added a pic of the pool with the fence 1/2 done, the fence is finished now and turned out excellent. I did the pool and fence myself I might add!

Last edited:
Reading between the lines, I get the feeling you do not fully understand WHY you are testing.

Please read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. That'll help you some and should encourage you to ask more questions so, in the Spring (which will be your busiest time) you will understand how to get your pool in balance. Having your water crystal clear is very good but your pH control is essential as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.