Filter Valve Question

rockb

Sep 26, 2015
FL
New Owner
Initial thread with pool pic here New Owner

I have a question about the filter valve. The sticker that shows what each position is has dryrotted and is almost completely unreadable. I can't seem to find any model number on it and need to know what each of the positions is. I have been running it to help get some of the plastic off the top of the water and have apparently been slowly pumping water out the back-flush pipe at the same time. I did not know as the back-flush pipe goes underground then into a pond about 50 yards away.

I tried having my son look at the pipe as it comes out of the ground and tell me when water stopped coming out but as the level was low the skimmer kept getting sucked dry and he would say water stopped coming out when i had not changed the valve at all. I'm sure I will figure out which position just sends the water back into the pool after adding water and with trial and error but it would be nice to know what all the positions on the valve are.

IMG_0502_zpstrlfukht.jpg

Thanks.

So it looks like it has the following settings

Filter
Waste
Winter
Closed
Backwash
Recirculate
Rinse

Closed, Filter and backwash seem pretty self explanatory. What would the others be used for? The valve assembly has one input and two outputs if that makes any difference

The three ports are in, out, and waste.

In comes from the skimmers and main drain (if equipped) via the pump
Out goes to the returns in the pool
Waste dumps out into a sewer or out to a bare patch of ground somewhere or into a backwash hose.

Filter: In>filter>out
Waste: In>waste. No filtration at all
Winter: Ports all blocked except waste so it drains and doesn't freeze up and break
Closed: Everything blocked. Say your water level is above the top of the filter and you want to open the filter to clean it.
Backwash: In>through the filter backwards>waste
Recirculate: In>Out. Bypasses filter
Rinse: In>filter>waste. To settle the sand after backwashing and get any stray material out of the plumbing so it doesn't blow back into the pool

The three ports are in, out, and waste.

In comes from the skimmers and main drain (if equipped) via the pump
Out goes to the returns in the pool
Waste dumps out into a sewer or out to a bare patch of ground somewhere or into a backwash hose.

Filter: In>filter>out
Waste: In>waste. No filtration at all
Winter: Ports all blocked except waste so it drains and doesn't freeze up and break
Closed: Everything blocked. Say your water level is above the top of the filter and you want to open the filter to clean it.
Backwash: In>through the filter backwards>waste
Recirculate: In>Out. Bypasses filter
Rinse: In>filter>waste. To settle the sand after backwashing and get any stray material out of the plumbing so it doesn't blow back into the pool

In the "Winter" position, the diverter is lifted above the bottom so that all ports drain. No ports are blocked.

Thanks,

Where is the best place to get a replacement sticker?

So there is no position where it would be coming out both the out and waste ports? Because I'm pretty sure that is what I have going on now. If that is the case does it mean that the whole valve assembly needs replaced or is it likely just a single part in the filter assembly?

I would suggest getting part number SPX0714BA. That will give you a new top with a label and a new diverter with integrated gasket.

Just remove the screws, pull out the old assembly by the handle and install the new part and resecure with the screws.

The screws are self tapping. To avoid stripping the plastic when reinstalling the screws, slowly rotate the screw backwards until it drops into the threads and then rotate clockwise.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.