New Owner

rockb

Sep 26, 2015
FL
I had a pool growing up and am somewhat familiar with the level of effort required once it is in operation.

I did have a cheap above ground pool at my last place but got a saltwater system and just put in water and salt and called it good. It ran great for 3 years with very minimal effort other than draining it, refilling it, and adding more salt at the beginning of the season.

I Just purchased a home that has a pool. It was a foreclosure that sat vacant for approximately 2 years so to say that the pool needs attention is an understatement. Here is what it looked like when I moved in.

IMG_0465_zpseoc4vo1n.jpg

I have since gotten the wood removed and am in the process of getting all the plastic off the top. I get the large pieces then turn on the pump and let the skimmer pull the small pieces. The next day there are more large pieces that have floated up from the bottom. I'd like to just drain it, scrub it, and refill it but am concerned about it popping out of the ground when it is empty. I have read a couple threads here on the subject and plan to dig a couple holes around it to check the water table. I do have a pond about 50 yards from the pool that is holding water so I think I may have a valid concern.

As I look at the pump and filter setup there is only one input into the pump. The pool I grew up with had two inputs, both with valves, so you could choose to pull from the skimmer, the drain at the deep end, or both. Seeing only one input I do not have that choice with this one. Since I cannot see the bottom of the deep end I am assuming that I have a pickup there, but maybe not.

As an aside at least someone is enjoying it now :) This is a banded water snake and was not harmed. He got in and apparently could not get out on his own so I put a 4x4 in, resting it on the edge of the pool and a step, making a ramp and haven't seen him it 2 days.

IMG_0484_zps02zwewqy.jpg

Hey Rock, welcome to TFP! You and your snake. :) You are the proud owner of a mess, but we can help you turn it into a jewel. Take a few moments to review our Pooh School Page and especially the SLAM page (links below) since you will need those soon. Hopefully you have a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 to test the water, if not, the TF-100 link is below in my sig as well. That should be priority #1. Welcome to TFP. Have a great weekend.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Quite a project! Very good news that your pump is running. Have you looked inside or tried to backwash your filter yet?

Once your equipment is up and operating, You may want to consider some cosmetic repairs, The tile work looks like it was DIY and will need some things done to get it in decent shape.

You'll find a lotr of folks here willing to help and many with the experience of DIY themselves. We look forward to your progress.

OH goodie!!!!!! A swamp to turn into a jewel!!!!!!!! What fun! I can't wait!

HI! We LOVE pools like this! AND you are in Florida!

So lets get started!

First step -find an post to TFP-done!

Second step get the TF-100 XL option---------have you ordered it yet?

Third step - finding your best source for bleach/chlorine--------some people find it at Walmart Greater Value plain bleach. Others find it at Sams or Costco. Some find it at their local pool store. I find it at my Ace Hardware up the road.

-Make sure to check date codes as old bleach is NOT good.

-Check how strong it is-Walmart=8.25% Pool stores=11%. If there is not % listed do NOT buy it as it is almost always 3% or less :(

Let us know how we can help you clear that pool.

Kim

Very good news that your pump is running. Have you looked inside or tried to backwash your filter yet?

The pup is running because it is brand new :) It was after all a foreclosure. None of the rooms had any light fixtures and all the flooring needed to be replaced.

I have not taken a look inside. What is involved in doing that? It looks like to look inside I have to disconnect the three pipes. If I do that is there a special PVC fitting I can put in that would allow me to do that again without having to cut and then patch the PVC? It is already looking kind of like a patch work quilt now :)

Rock I wish I could come help you figure out your equipment and start your SLAM BUT I am a teacher. A Kindergarten teacher at that. Do you have ANY idea how hard it is to find someone dumb or crazy enough to sub for us????????? LOL

Okay on to you filter. Take some pics and we can/will walk you through it. Here is a link that show unions like you can put on the lines so you can work on your stuff.

Google

Kim

Got a quote from a local pool company to come take care of it. With the water table as high as it is (about 18" below the concrete) I figure it is best to just let them pump it out and take care of it. My main concern with doing it myself is floating the pool so I assume that they know what they are doing to keep that from happening. What questions do I need to ask / what phrase do I look for on a contract to make sure that they are responsible if the worst happens? I mentioned this several times to the guy that came out to look at it and he implied it would not be an issue. They were used to working in the area with the high water tables.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They never called so I guess they are out. After looking at it further I think it will have to be re-plastered. I scrubbed off some of the gunk in several places and it is VERY rough. I can't see being able to be in there for mor than 5 minutes before your feet are raw.

The guy that came by gave a ballpark estimate of $16K to re-plaster. Guess this will have to wait till next year unless I can figure out how to do it myself.

It is likely calcium scale that is making your pool rough. Since you are going to have to wait to replaster anyway you can try to make it better in the meantime. In Poolmath there is a CSI scale number that is calculated after you enter your test results. Keep this number -0.3 to -0.5 and brush the rough spots as often as you can stand to. Over a couple of months this will likely help to reduce the scale. CSI is best adjusted by tweaking PH first and TA as needed.

More here to get you started
Pool School - Calcium Scaling
Langelier and Calcite Saturation Indices (LSI and CSI)

Got another quote today for $8400 and if I signed a contract this week for completion before Labor day he would give me 10% off of that. That is a lot more doable. Got another company supposed to come by Friday to give me a quote. Since I am in the panhandle of Florida we still have a couple of months of use left this year.

I wonder if prices on these kinds of things go down in the off season.

Next question is what am I looking at monthly to keep it going in chemicals etc?

At my old house I had a cheap Wal-Mart above ground with saltwater and it was simple. I just filled it up, added salt, and ran the pump about 2 hours a day. Never had to do anything else to it and the water stayed crystal clear. Got 4 years of use out of that one so I figure we more than got our $600 out of it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.