SWG Salt Level High 9,900ppm

Oztin

Apr 28, 2015
Oakville
Hi. Completely a newbie as we just completed our pool install recently. Tested our water yesterday at Fox Pools. Needed to add Oxy Shock, Stabalizer and salt. Salt was at 3,000ppm as tested at Fox and reading on Intellichlor was 2,800ppm.

Added 1/2 bag (10kg or 22lbs) as I was told to at around 1:30pm. Mixed it around pool well but I did pour it on shallow side near skimmer. I know, I know...newbie. Did not turn off SWG as was never told I should, but have read since I should have. Again...argghh. All afternoon through early evening (8pm) SWG reading was 2,850ppm. Checked again at 10pm and it read 9,900ppm! Don't even think this is possible with the amount of salt added. This is a 10,000 gallon pool.

This morning 5:30am SWG still reads 9,900ppm. I have disabled the SWG now and jacked pool pump up to 3,400rpm in an attempt to clear it out.

Is this "normal" for it to read so high after adding salt? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!!!

Welcome to the forum.

Adding 22lbs of salt into a 10,000 gallon pool will raise the salt level only about 263ppm.

What test kit are you using to get 9900ppm? Is this reading from the SWG?

I am not directly experienced with SWGs, but I'm sure that someone who is will be along shortly.

Dom

Welcome to the forum.

Adding 22lbs of salt into a 10,000 gallon pool will raise the salt level only about 263ppm.

What test kit are you using to get 9900ppm? Is this reading from the SWG?

I am not directly experienced with SWGs, but I'm sure that someone who is will be along shortly.

Dom

Thanks Dom. Thats exactly what I thought-there is no way adding that amount would increase the salt level by 7,000ppm. And yes, that is the reading coming from the Intellichlor Diagnostics through the EadyTouch remote. The Intellichlor itself has a flashing green light indicating high salt.

Fox Pools runs a complete analysis for everything for us.

My main concern here is that I damaged the cell as perhaps a higher concentration of the salt was sucked into the skimmer and is causing the high reading, but possibly caused damage to the SWG.

Although the reading was 2,800-2,850 for 7 hours after I added the salt. It jumped up after that and has remained high since.

Fox Pools runs a complete analysis for everything for us.

My main concern here is that I damaged the cell as perhaps a higher concentration of the salt was sucked into the skimmer and is causing the high reading, but possibly caused damage to the SWG.

Although the reading was 2,800-2,850 for 7 hours after I added the salt. It jumped up after that and has remained high since.
As you read though this forum you will see that most pool store results are not accurate at all. I highly recommend you get your own test kit and cut yourself free of the pool store.

Seeing that you have shut off your SWG, what is your plan to maintain chlorine levels manually?

What is your current CYA level and last FC reading? If your FC drops below proper sanitation levels for your CYA level you are at risk of developing algae as well as culturing bacteria.

Where are you located? There are quite a few Oakvilles in the USA (CT, MO, & CA come to mind), as well as Canada. Location makes a difference in your pool care.

Dom

edit: I just saw your location (Canada) in your signature.

You probably had a cloud of undissolved salt or something. Wait at least 24 hours for the salt to fully dissolve and mix in the pool. Longer if the pump isn't running. Brushing helps speed it up and mix it.

You probably had a cloud of undissolved salt or something. Wait at least 24 hours for the salt to fully dissolve and mix in the pool. Longer if the pump isn't running. Brushing helps speed it up and mix it.
+1

Brushing will help dissolve the salt. Can you isolate the SWG cell and still run your pump & filter?

I cannot stress enough the importance of maintaining FC while the SWG is down. What is your plan to do so?

Dom

The IC's only check salinity at start up (after a 2-3min wait period) and then once every 12 hours IF it is left running. So you probably got a reading when it hit a slug of extra salty water and then the reading stayed there for 12 hours.

Do as others have suggested and turn off the IC and let the salt circulate. You likely did not damage anything as the cells are current limited once the salinity goes too high. The salinity check is just for safety purposes, the IC does not continuously monitor it nor base its drive voltages or currents on it.

Next time wait when you add salt. It dissolves slowly and takes time to properly mix.

Also, ditch the pool store tests and get yourself a K-1766 test kit. Much more accurate. And, last bit of advice, only add salt to make your SWG happy, do not add salt based on testing. It's your SWG that has to register a proper salt level and it can be 100's of ppm different than what the tests read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bumping the thread to see how the OP is doing with their SWG. It's been 24 hours now and if the SWG is still not running the pool is in risk of algae if chlorine has not been maintained manually.

Dom

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks again for all the replies. Our pool builder came by Saturday to reset the system amd see if that did anything. The salt reading went from 9,900ppm to 7,300ppm ... He also took the cell our and cleaned it. Again, this is a brand new aystem that has been running only 1 month. The SWG has been running since and I have been testing daily and no issues. Water is still crystal clear. Pool builder is in touch with Pentair to see what they suggest-likely a faulty cell - he took picutres of the reading as he has never seen that before.

Its almost 48hrs later, pump has been running continuoisly and still reads 7,300ppm.

We'll see what Pentair says today.

Update: took a water sample into Fox Pools first thing this morning to have it retested as I ran a chlorine/ph test again at home this morning at 5:30am (Rainbow Pentair Drop Test) and it was early so still dark outside so I had to read it inside under artificial light and it was tough to tell which shade of yellow it was but it was light. Turns out we have NO chlorine in our pool now. So we went from perfect levels Sunday morning to none Monday morning. We are going to add some shock to put in the pool to get the chlorine up and Pentair has told our pool builder to swap out the Intellichlor IC-40, under warranty of course, for a brand new one so that is being done later today.

Also, I bought AquaChek Salt strips and they detected low salt but we are at 3,300ppm. I think I am just cursed this week with faulty equipment/testers. I have read others have had hit and miss results with the Aquachek strips but it was all I could find locally yesterday. Looking into the Taylor salt test as recco'd by Dom but we are in Canada so I have to contact the master dealer here as they won't ship to Canada (they have an agreement with a master dealer in Canada and can't). I will also be upgrading to a better drop test kit that tests more than just the chlorine and ph once I read through the "Test Kits Compared" and figure out which one is the best to go with.

Thanks again for all the responses.

It always good to see the manufacturer stand behind their product.

I hope it's a quick turnover. In the meantime just be sure to maintain a proper CYA to FC ratio. You haven't mentioned what your current CYA level is.

With that said, I recommend you consider using liquid chlorine (bleach) in lieu of powdered shock & tablets. The liquid will add nothing but chlorine & a trace amount of salt. The powders and tablets will also add significant amounts of CYA, eventually working against maintaining a healthy pool.

While you are waiting on your SWG issue to be resolved have a read through Pool School, especially How to chlorinate your pool

If you read though Pool School and various threads you will see that with the correct testing you can very easily maintain your pool on your own, at a significant savings to your wallet as well.

Dom

SWG was replaced this afternoon. Levels prior to replacement were as follows:

Free chlorine: 0.25ppm
Total chlorine: 0.41ppm
Combined chlorine: 0.16ppm
Ph: 7.8
Hardness: 203ppm
Alkalinity: 127ppm
Cyanuric acid: 32ppm
Copper: 0.1ppm
Iron: 0.2ppm
Salt: 3,380ppm

SWG was replaced this afternoon. Levels prior to replacement were as follows:

Free chlorine: 0.25ppm
Total chlorine: 0.41ppm
Combined chlorine: 0.16ppm
Ph: 7.8
Hardness: 203ppm
Alkalinity: 127ppm
Cyanuric acid: 32ppm
Copper: 0.1ppm
Iron: 0.2ppm
Salt: 3,380ppm
If those readings are at all accurate your FC is low, below proper sanitation levels for your CYA level. Also, your CYA level is quite low for a SWG system. Your high Total Alkalinity is contributing to your high pH (which tends to rise in a SWG system anyway).

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

Do you desire to do your own testing and manage your own chemistry?

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/122-what-is-tfpc-bbb

Dom

Those were taken this morning before SWG was replaced - it wasn't working at all. New one is in and we will monitor it u til we close the pool in acouple werks for the fall and winter season. Next year I plan to monitor my own chemistry but the taylor kits can't be shipped to Canada or any that contain Taylor reagents so I am going to have to find a distributor in Canada over the off season.

Thanks again for your help.

Those were taken this morning before SWG was replaced - it wasn't working at all. New one is in and we will monitor it u til we close the pool in acouple werks for the fall and winter season. Next year I plan to monitor my own chemistry but the taylor kits can't be shipped to Canada or any that contain Taylor reagents so I am going to have to find a distributor in Canada over the off season.

Thanks again for your help.

Only Canadian distributor for Taylor is Lowry & Associates and it is by exclusive agreement. Therefore they have a lock on the Taylor kits and they price gouge as a result of their monopoly. So if you want a K-2006 be prepared to pay more than $200US for it.

Only Canadian distributor for Taylor is Lowry & Associates and it is by exclusive agreement. Therefore they have a lock on the Taylor kits and they price gouge as a result of their monopoly. So if you want a K-2006 be prepared to pay more than $200US for it.

Ouch! That's rediculous.

Dom

TFT can't ship to Canada (I checked today) but I can ship to an address in the US (friend) and get it that way. Likely what I'll be doing. :)

That's good to hear. Many Canadians do that. It's about the only way to get the Taylor reagents without being forced to pay ridiculous prices.

But a TF-100 with XL option from TFTestkits.net. It's the best bang for your buck. You might even consider getting a salt test kit (K-1766) and SpeedStir while you're at it. That way you have everything you need.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.