Closing ??s

I open my pool 1 month early from the summer. While the water is a little dirty from the winter, it clears up very quickly, within 12 hours. And my pool is closed pretty early in the season. Anywhere from September 15th until September 30th. The key is to close properly and open a little early. When you do that, the pump only needs to run a few hours per day and you have minimum chlorine consumption.

My pool is covered with a regular cover. If you have a mesh cover and wait until the 1st holiday weekend, you run the risk of opening up to a green pool. It is common with mesh covers (at least the people I know). Sometimes, they place a solid cover on top of the mesh (safety cover). The longer you wait to close and the earlier you open, the less problems you will incur.

For those of you who close down and cover your pools..what do they look like when you open them in the spring?

Like this.
e2b4c694f2c08195b5b261b0a4f03165.jpg

I closed it November 6th, and opened it April 1st. I closed it when the water was around 50, and opened it when I couldn't stand not seeing it anymore. When I don't see water I feel like my soul is drying up. Like the feeling when you've been at the beach all week, you go home, and you don't have any water around. Maybe it's just me. I love water, especially the crystal clear kind. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eeeeeewwwww!

I scoop them up in Spring so that their guts don't break apart and become floaties or accidental mouth fodder. Eeeeeewwwww! Eeeeewwwwww! Eeeeeeeewwwwwwww!!!

And it's Ma'am to you, sir!

Oops. Guess I should re-read who I'm replying to before I reply. :) Yeah, worm guts for breakfast isn't my idea of fun.

Nothing but pump water off my solid cover. I bring fc to shock level, lower the water a couple inches below the skimmers, blow out all lines, add antifreeze to the lines, and cover. My fc was still 6 or 7 when I opened it this spring.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Luckily, in the spring I have no worms. Last year, my pool was closed September 15th and opened April 26th. (Looked back at sheet). One gallon of 12.5% and 8 hours later, the water was crystal clear. Next day I vacuumed and everything was perfect. This year, I closed September 24th and will open up around the same time next year.

I believe if the pool is closed properly, opening up the pool when the weather is cool that makes a difference. That week (April 26th), the average day temperature's were 66*, while night temperatures were probably still in the 50*'s. This probably helped. My friend waited until one month later. When we opened up his pool (mesh safety cover), it was a green mess. Good news is at a CYA of 30, the SLAM took 2 weeks. Testing and additions were only done daily and if we waited another few weeks, the pool would have been a real mess. This year, we are opening up the pool a little earlier.

+1 on closing cold, opening cold for clear water. For me, that's Oct. 20 close and Apr. 20 opening and so far I've always opened clean with FC residual of about 4.

But the last few weeks of chasing leaves in Oct. is always a riot ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.