Winter Plugs (Any experience with the threaded ones)

Catanzaro

Platinum Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 30, 2014
Monmouth County, New Jersey
Attached is a link with the winter plugs.

Pool and Spa Winter Plugs to Protect Lines from Freezing

I closed the pool yesterday and there are 4 returns on each side (House and Yard). The steps have a special thread, so I used the black rubber plugs with the wing nut. I used the threaded winter plugs and saw some small bubbles (air leaks) as it was very apparent (Thanks TFP as water is so crystal clear).

I tightened them a little more and there still was a leak. I did not use Teflon Tape as there was an O-Ring (unlike Skimmer Gizmo's). Customer Service is telling me that the O-Ring is what seals everything. Unfortunately these did not work and I used the black plugs, which of course are not leaking. They claim that the threads are stripped, which I doubt all 8 of them are bad.

Question: Has anyone ever used this type, and what experience have they had? Thank you.

The only place those white plugs work for me is in the skimmer boxes. They wouldn't work good on my returns, so I use the black rubber plugs there. Before I use the white plugs, I clean them real good and lube the rubber o ring with silicone grease. I also think the flat surface in the skimmer box adds too these working better there. My face plates on my returns had a rougher surface, thus the reason they leaked with the white ones.
It's the o ring that needs a good seal.

Samt:

Thank you. Below is a reply from the company, as I would not post a favorable review until they answered my question. I guess you had the same experience. The only issue is that I had to use a lot of force to tighten and loosen them up. I doubt I caused damage to the returns as they are very secure in the walls.

We have used these many times in the past for winterizing. These are not meant for air pressure and perhaps that is the issue, but never had a problem with water leakage and never used teflon.

Because there is a lot of trapped air in the returns, there is pressure against anything that seals the returns. I used the Gizmo's for the skimmers. Clearly, the threaded kind should not be used for returns, but the black rubber ones are better.

The returns and not flush, but more concaved, and I believe that is the issue. But the back is flush, where the gasket meets the liner.

Next year, I will probably drain below the returns. Closing the pool will be a snap with the Cyclone. It is amazing how quickly it pushed the water through the skimmers and how effective it was on the main drain. The returns were tough as I had to stick my head (with goggles) underwater to get the black plug to sit properly. If there was no water, it would be a snap. One can take their time until they get to the MD.

Already, I am having withdrawals. I will go out once a week, peel the cover back and test the water. It will be a fun experiment to see how long the FC reading at 50% SLAM level will last in the pool.

The returns and not flush, but more concaved, and I believe that is the issue. But the back is flush, where the gasket meets the liner.

Next year, I will probably drain below the returns. Closing the pool will be a snap with the Cyclone. It is amazing how quickly it pushed the water through the skimmers and how effective it was on the main drain. The returns were tough as I had to stick my head (with goggles) underwater to get the black plug to sit properly. If there was no water, it would be a snap. One can take their time until they get to the MD.

Already, I am having withdrawals. I will go out once a week, peel the cover back and test the water. It will be a fun experiment to see how long the FC reading at 50% SLAM level will last in the pool.

When I slam in the fall, I still have chlorine in the spring. I close at 50 degrees and open early.

I have the same setup. I use the threaded plugs with o-rings in the return lines and I use teflon tape on the threads. Sometimes I get air bubbles. When I do, I tighten them or redo the tape so that there aren't any air bubbles. I use the plugs with the wingnuts in the spa jets by the stairs. They are a pain because it is usually hard to get them aligned just right.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.