Filter Upgrade Benefits?

dan4jc

Apr 24, 2013
I currently have a StaRite 300 sqft cartridge filter, which I know now is too small for my pool. I am to the point where I need to replace my filters, and I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to upgrade to a larger filter. Other than having to clean my cartridges more often, would there be any benefit to a larger filter? Would the filters themselves last longer? I can purchase replacement filters for ~$320. Looking at a Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 520 sqft is over $800. Not sure if I can justify the extra $500.

Kimkats, the water is normally crystal clear, although this year I am getting a lot of silt along the bottom, which is why I think it's time to replace. I normally clean them out 2-3 times a season and everything is fine. I just wasn't sure if the cartridge life span is shortened because of that or not. Even if it is, I'm not sure it would be enough to warrant the additional cost. Just wanted to get some opinions of others, and to see if there is something else I'm missing. Thanks!

I have a similar filter as you have but my mine is a bit larger at 450 sqft (S8M150). I only clean my filters once a year and the I just replaced the first set after 16 years.

I wonder if you can simply upgrade the filters and turn your S7M120 into an S7M400 (400 sqft filter area)? The dimensions between the two that are listed in the manual show they are same size.

It might be worth a call into Sta-Rite (whom I believe was bought by Pentair) to confirm/deny this idea.

Agent99, I took your advice and contacted Pentair. They did confirm that the S7M120 and the S7M400 can interchange filters. So for about $100 or so more, I can get upgrade to 400 sqft of filter area. Thanks for the idea!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.