Toddlers in pool

numberonenole said:
One is not potty trained yet, but I think (ok...hope) I will only need to worry about urine. What should I be looking for test results wise? Thanks!

Ha...that's what you think. They will poop in there just to show you they can! :mrgreen: Seriously....when they are having fun in the pool, nothing will make them get out, and I mean nothing!!!

Plenty of FC in reserve...you want to be aim for the "target" column for FC according to the CYA chart...not the "minimum" .... so for example if your CYA is 40 you want your FC to be 5.

And if there is a loose one, have everyone get out and shock the pool. :whip:

(Sidenote for those in the know, it scares me to think I was using the FROG and potty training my son and I can think of 2 occasions when he did the deed in his swim diaper and our FC was .5-1 :shock: :shock: :shock: )

Definitely get some cloth swim diapers - they look like a regular swim bottom, but hold any solid accidents much better than the disposable swim diapers. I have seen them at Target. Most toddlers are pretty predictable on when they need to go, so plan accordingly.

I always kept my FC where in normal ranges, but my toddlers never had any accidents in the pool.

A word about swim diapers. They are NOT meant to contain accidents. Ordinary disposable diapers have an absorbent gel that swells when wet. If worn in the pool it quickly expands by a great amount and your baby looks like is has an enormous bottom! :shock:

Swim diapers are made so they do not expand, they do not hold moisture or wetness (gotta love the euphemisms!) and will NOT help contain a solid accident.

The cloth swim diapers are made to be somewhat waterproof but they do not seal well around the legs. They are probably better at containing urine accidents than anything solid since all the ones I have ever seen leak around the legs.

IMHO, NO ONE should be allowed in the pool unless they are potty trained, and this includes adults! :hammer:

(In case you are wondering about my interest in swim diapers it's because during summer season I work at a resort with 2 pools, 2 spas, and a splash zone and fecal accidents from swim diapers are a fact of life.)

My personal opinion, (and I'm no medical professional) is that the biggest concern about babies in the pool is from visitors. If you are changing the baby's diaper, you've already been exposed to any pathogens that are there, and likely you may have given them to the child to begin with. The real concern is with parasites like cryptosporidium and giardia, which are easy to pick up, even in a well sanitized pool, and can be a health risk for persons with reduced immune system function. It wouldn't hurt to elevate the chlorine a couple of ppm before they swim, then nudge it back up after they swim. Urine is no real risk, but it will consume chlorine which can reduce the sanitizing capability of your water, which can then put you at risk of other pathogens.

My bottom line (no pun intended) is that I allow my grandchildren to swim in our pool, but I won't swim in a public pool with young children. Actually, I rarely swim in public pools at all anymore. The water always looks and smells bad compared to mine.

I think the cloth swim diapers work well if fitted properly.... I have seen too many parents buy the wrong size for their babies...they should fit quite snugly. The pair I had for my son when he was one worked well, for solids. The disposables are useless and for looks only.

People aren't going to keep their babies out of pools, it's just he reality. That's why it's nice that most public pools have seperate "baby" pool areas, and why it's a good idea to keep that FC level up and shock if there is "an issue"....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.