First time pool owner...clueless

Mtug4

Sep 24, 2015
Cleveland Ga
I apologize in advance for the lack of information but I was hoping someone could give me a run through of what I need for my pool. I have an 18x36 IG pool vinyl liner with Aquarite Salt System installed in 2008. When I bought my house all the previous owner told me was keep my salt levels around 2700-3200 and backwash/rinse weekly. I don't have any test kits & honestly have no idea what kind to buy. We haven't had any problems with the pool until we were out of town last week. We live in north Georgia and temps were in the low 80's most of the week with no rain. When I got back on Sunday my salt level was 1600 and the pool had greenish yellow slime on the sides and bottom (I'm assuming this is mustard algae) I called a pool company and they told me to add two bottles of shock, put a chlorine tablet in the skimmer, let the pump run all night and bring a sample by in the morning if the pool starts to clear up. They told me at this point it will not do any good to add salt because our temps are in the mid 60s. I'm just trying to clear up whatever is going on so I can get the pool closed. Since we started having this problem I've read that I should be shocking weekly and I haven't done this since we bought the house. We have a sand filter and I have no idea where to even look for the cell to clean it out but my light is flashing to check it. I fee like a complete idiot with this pool ?

Welcome to TFPC! We are very glad you came. There are a few things you are going to need to do right away.

1) Get a good test kit. I recommend the TF-100 from TFTestkits.net You want to get the XL option and a magnetic mixer makes life a lot easier.

2) Read up on SLAMming. Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Once your test kit comes in you are going to need to test and post all the readings. We will help you get your pool right and if you want to close for the winter we can help with that.

For now put nothing else in your pool except for 1/2 gal of bleach, regular or concentrated, no scents or splashless or anything like that. After you get your kit and post the numbers, then you and us will know what more needs to be done to fix you up.

The best part is you will be taking control for your pool and not be at the mercy of the pool $tore anymore.

Hi, and welcome to the forum! We recommend either the TF-100 test kit which can be purchased at TFTestkits.net or the Taylor 2006C which can be purchased in a lot of places. Please note the C on the end of the Taylor kit...if you get the regular 2006 you will run out of reagents quickly, especially when clearing a problem. I highly recommend the TF-100 as it is the best bang for the buck. If you have the money I would also highly recommend the speed stir. It would also be helpful if you could post the particulars about your pool and equipment in your signature. To do this click on "Forum Actions" located at the top left of this page just under "PoolMath" then click on "Edit Profile". When that page loads look down the left side and you will see a link to edit your signature.

Is the substance you are seeing distributed all around the pool or mostly in shaded areas? While you are waiting for your test kit to arrive I highly recommend you read the posts in Pool School paying particular attention to the Pool Chemistry and How To sections.

Here is what the computerized water analysis says:
Free Available Chlorine: 0.3
Total Chlorine: 0.57
Combined Chlorine: 0.27
pH Level: 7.8
Total Alkalinity: 42
Calcium Hardness: 32
Cyanuric Acid: 2
Copper: 0
Iron: 0
Manganese: 0
Nitrates: 0
Total Disolved Solids:0
Phosphates: 0
Saturation Index: -0.8
Endure:0

Salt texted at 3200 at pool store but my equipment is saying 1600. They recommended I reset the system.

So their recommendations were:
1) add 10lb of soda & circulate for 2 hours
2) add 2lb stabilizer to skimmer & circulate skimmer
3) add 2lb of shock & circulate 12 hours.

As soon as I figure out how to post pics, I'll show you guys my equipment.

Mtug4, we're here to help. But please keep in mind that while you are trying to resolve your water issue, you will hear the same thing from TFP members as what Bob mentioned in post #2 - you MUST have the right test kit. Use the link he provided and try to make that your first priority. We simply don't place a lot of faith in pool store testing. Far too many inconsistencies. After that, we can help you no problem. :) Have a great day/weekend!

I just ordered my test kit! I understand what you mean about the pool store testing. She put a little wand lookin thing in to check the sa level first and it tested over 5000 so she said we'd stick to the test strip reading for that!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 57
:goodjob:. Well, in the meantime, here's what we could say about those latest results until you get your own kit:
CYA should be no less that 30 ppm (increase using granular stabilizer via the sock method ASAP)
FC should be 4ppm based on a CY of 30 (slowly increase with regular bleach)
pH is getting high. Acid is required to lower to about 7.2-7.4 (do not add bleach or acid at the same time; separate by 30 min w/ pump running)
TA is close to low (regular baking soda will work)
CH is N/A right now

Everything you need is at your grocery store, Wal-Mart, or Lowes/Home Depot. Don't buy any of their fancy pool chemicals. The only thin I may buy at the pool store is muriatic acid.

Use this Poolmath calculator . It's a great tool to help you go from your "NOW" level to your required "TARGET" level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mtug4, I'm going to pull away from this thread since Bob and Kim have already chimed-in. I kind of interrupted :), and don't want to get in their way. But their notes above are spot-on, so with your new in-bound test kit, you'll do fine. Just remember, those pool store test results can be dangerous. So even though I gave you some examples above of what needs to be done, don't get too carried way right now. If those pool assessments were way off, you could do more harm than good. Bob & Kim will keep you straight.

- - - Updated - - -

Your water isn't all that bad, so with a little TFP assistance, you should do fine.

Pool doesn't look TOO bad. You for sure need to SLAM but once you get your kit we'll know more for sure. You are continuing to add the 1/2 gal of bleach at least once a day, right?

Also, what is you pool depth? I saw the 18X36 but can't find where you mention the depth. You're going to need that to know how much bleach to use.

The 1/2 gal I recommended was based on just keeping ahead of the green.

I don't see your pressure gauge in the pics. Is it working correctly?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.