Hello from an excited Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma!!

Nursenini

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Sep 22, 2015
Bixby, Ok
Hi! :wave::wave::wave:
We are just in the beginning stages of our pool dreams. We have terrible easement restrictions in our yard which has made it difficult to get serious bids. Over the last 10 yrs we have had several contractors come out but no one willing to take the time to actually draw up a plan until this week. We had our viewing appt on Tuesday and once we got used to the idea of a geometric shape, we have embraced it. I had always wanted a free form lagoon type but it just won't fit in our space, or at least not one big enough to swim in and accommodate our adult children and 5 grandchildren.
It's a few weeks until we can apply for our financing. We are currently refinancing our home (closing next week) then buying a desperately needed vehicle. Once those things are done, we should be able to get going.
We have never owned a pool, although it has been my lifelong dream. I'm so excited, I can barely sleep or think of anything else.

We are going to try to change the length and depth of the pool to more like 30-33ft and 6ish ft deep. Can't change the width (17' for part and 14' for the rest) due to our easement. :( I'd rather not do the spa and use that money on the pool itself or the yard/furniture,etc after the build, but hubby really wants it.

Any advice for our build would be appreciated! I've been reading this site for HOURS!! I'm a little obsessed?
Denise

A 6 foot depth makes no sense. Too deep to stand and not deep enough to dive. Play Pools (AKA Sport Pools) are usually 5 ft. Mine is 3.5 to 5 ft (center), to 4 ft. If I had it to do again it would be 4,5,4. 3.5 feet is just a bit too shallow, but anything deeper than 5 ft might as well be 8 or 10 feet.

Since you aren't using any stone, you have an ideal situation for a salt water chlorine generator. Make it a salt pool and you will find your pool much easier to maintain. I would also highly recommend a variable speed pump, it will pay for itself in energy savings, and provides much more flexibility.

Welcome to TPFC! We are so glad you are here. As you have already learned, folks here are very willing to help and to offer ideas based on their experiences and stuff they have read here.

Feel free to ask questions, and post pics as you get them. We really like pics around here. Even pics of the place where the pool WILL be are accepted. :)

You'll want to get a good testkit. I recommend the TF-100 from TFTestkits.net because it's got all the tests you need to maintain a clean, clear pool. Make sure you ask for the magnetic stirrer. It's a big help with some of the tests. While you're there you might as well pick up a salt test too. I know it seems like a lot, but you'll thank me later.

Also, I understand that if you become a lifetime member here, there is a discount on stuff from there. Nothing wrong with that. :)

What space are you going with? We are doing rectangular 17x35 pool with raised spa 5x17 ft sunshelf. We went with 6 ft deep end as we like to swiming. And hubby want to be able to dive in(he's 6ft tall) the one thing I can say going through this process is get all the things you really want in a pool now. Once the pool is done it's done. I've been looking for deals on furniture. And just get them when I can. I'll put my fold up chairs out there for the first year. We too have waited many years to get the pool. So we don't want to say we wish we would have. We are getting 1300sf of decking. I'm hoping to get an outdoor kitchen in the next year or two. And congrats!!

We are going with a SWG. we will finalize the exact size in a couple of weeks. We aren't doing a diving board. We have 5 very small grandchildren- two 4 yr old, two 2 yr olds and a 1 yr old. I'm just under 5 ft tall. Hubby is about 5'8". We figured 3.5' would be good but have been advised by friends that live here to have a deeper end (at least 6') so the kids can swim down to pick up coins, etc., and that the water will be cooler in the deep water.

I'll look into the variable speed pump. I had read a little about it but wasn't sure...
And I'll look at those test kits. I know the PB is giving us one with the misc. equipment.

Any other MUST haves?

Also, does the plain salt deck get hot like regular concrete? Our PB recommended not doing Kool deck because it has to be redone after so many years due to it chipping off. I'm just concerned about the babies feet...

Hello Denise, and Welcome to TFP, :wave:

Congrats on your up and coming pool build. I look forward to watching your dream being turned into a reality. I agree about how you can get lost for hours in all wonderful, and informative information here at TFP. Feel free to ask any questions you may have along the way, and someone will be glad to answer them for you. Again welcome to TFP, and have a wonderful night. :)

I will have to do some looking. There was a thread (foxy?) that had temp tests on different surfaces. I will post it when I find it.

Just remember that the "babies" will not be small for long. Make sure to plan ahead for their growth.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Kim- that would be great if you can point me toward the test info!

Marian- I have looked at the test kits you mentioned. I will definately get those if the PB's kit isn't up to par.

Thank you you everyone for the warm welcome! I'm loving the input!

As for the test kits, PB often (with plaster pools) won't give you a test kit right away if they are doing the start-up. When it's appropriate, ask. That way if you need to order a better kit, you will have it for opening.

I encourage you to go deeper too.

+1 on going 4x5x4. We have 3-1/2 also and it is too shallow. Nobody young or old goes there. Benches are the greatest hit, kids love to use them as home base for throwing/catching stuff or resting and adults love to sit on them and sip beverages.

We have a 7x7 sun shelf and a bench along one side the entire length of the pool. The water depth is second step (16") for both. That puts the shelf at the seat depth on a standard lounger and the bench is at just the right depth to use the deck to set your drink down while watching the kiddies play.

Hi Denise, so nice to see you here!

Chiefwej makes some good observational points on pool depth. I too am in your neck of the woods. Our pool is roughly 35ft in length with about only a foot, if that, of shallow end at 3.5 feet. Our max depth is 9ft. I'm 5'4" and in no time my head is completely submerged if standing.

I do sometimes wish we had a lot more shallow end as I clearly get more nervous with other kids around. I wish we had more of a 'sport' area as a game of pool volleyball is always out :drown: . So yes, to help you with the decision of size, as I'm sure you have already done a million times, whip out your crystal ball and try to think of how you may like to mostly use your pool.

Congrats!!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.