Heat pump versus gas heater

Sep 20, 2015
Allen,Texas
I live in the Dallas area and I am looking for opinions on heating options for my pool. I am looking to put in a small pool and spa approx 10,000 gallons total. I am wondering if a heat pump or gas heater would be more effective. Right now every pool builder I meet with states I will not be happy with a heat pump and are recommending gas heaters. I am concerned about the cost as natural gas will not stay cheap forever. However, will the heat pump do its job when it is 30 degrees outside? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Welcome to TFP!

You will not be able to heat up a spa quickly when you want to use it with a heat pump.

And I don't think they add any heat once the air gets below 50 degrees.

Jblizzle hit the nail on the head. A heat pump will not heat up the spa fast enough for you to use it. I wanted a heat pump but at a cost of around $4000 I decided against it. From what I understand a heat pump can only heat a certain number of degrees above the ambient temperature and cool only a certain number of degrees below it. I am going to look at solar this year to extend our swim season just a little bit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.