New Pool Build in Frisco, TX

Jul 28, 2015
Frisco/TX
Hi all,

We finally decided to build our pool and have been working with 2 PBs who seems to have great reputation in our neighborhood. We have made up our mind to go with the PB who has been very responsive and eager to get our business.

Below are the details and pictures. What do you folks think? We are not building a spa, but instead decided to get a heater to heat the pool. Also, what payment terms should we agree to from the PB. it seems like they want 1/3 and last payment due at plaster.

The cost of the pool is coming out to be around $70k.

Design Stats:
Pool: 438 s.f. / 100’ Per.
30’ x 20’ 6”; 3’ 6” to 5’ deep

Summary Pool Details)

Excavation:
o Trac excavation + Bobcat shuttle (Left side yard)
o 7 hours of excavation
o (Remove existing flagstone deck- 363 SF)
o Form equipment pad
o Hand shaped walls, tanning ledge, steps benches and corners

Steel:

o 10” x 10” grid of 1/2” steel in walls, floor, footers and equipment pad
o 4 Bar box beam with #4, 1/2” steel around top edge of shell

Gunite:

o Pneumatically applied, 6 sack mix
o 2 Benches/Swimouts
o (1) Tanning ledge with 6” of water
o Full gunite equipment pad

Plumbing:

o Hand dug trenches with lines laid out flat to minimize settling over time.
o All connections made using commercial grade, gray PVC glue with 45* and/or 90* connectors only- NO HEAT AND BEND

Equipment:

o Pro-Edge dealer warranty of 3 years, including parts and labor
o Main circulation pump: Jandy 2.0 HP; 2-Speed pump
o Jandy high-flow, commercial grade cartridge filter
o Polaris 280 with dedicated ¾ HP Booster pump
o (3) Savi Melody “J” series color changing LED lights
o AcquaPure Jandy Salt System
o Jandy RS-P4 + iAqualink (iPhone/Android) interface
o Jandy never lube, maintenance free pool valves
o Brass or Aluminum skimmer lids, available in round or square.
o AquaComfort ACT-1250/HC Electric Heat/Cool Pump
o Paramount In-Floor cleaning system powered by Jandy 1.0 HP Stealth plump
o 12” Raised stone fire pit- built up off gunite footer out of mason block,Capped and veneered with stone to match pool. Includes: permitting, Gas run, ss burner and fire pit screen and glass media

Tile:
o 138 feet of standard cost, “6” x 6” or 1” x 1” ceramic tile for pool and spa water line and back water feature wall
§ Smaller or glass tiles available at additional cost
Stonework:
o Hand selected and chiseled natural stone, 2” thick, for pool, water feature wall and column cap: Leuders Limestone, Oklahoma Flagstone or Silvermist
o Hand cut and chiseled Oklahoma Flagstone veneer- Ashlar Pattern: raised columns and water feature all
o (3) 12” hand-made stone scupper; to match coping material: Oklahoma Flagstone, Leuders Limestone or Silvermist
· Decking:
o 794 SF of Tier #2 concrete pavers
o Lifetime product warranty- 5 year installation warranty
o Laid over a 6” bed of ¼” gravel, decomposed granite and cushion sand
o 4” Brass drain caps with network of 4” PVC drain system under decking
· Interior Finish:
o Standard- Crystal Pebble (Blue Granite or Blue Ice)
§ Other finished available at additional cost in the options section
· Yard Repair:
o After decks pool site will be graded out with 1 load of select fill soil
o Take down fence during excavation and re hang after grading is completed; bring gates to code
o (4) pallets of Bermuda sod and (4) sprinkler zones

Warranties:
· Structure Warranty: Lifetime
· Masonry Stone Warranty: 1 year
· PVC Plumbing Warranty: 1 year
· Belgard Product Warranty: Lifetime
· Pebble Warranty: 10 years
· Zodiac/Jandy Equipment Warranty: 3 years
· Paver Decks Warranty: 5 years
· Polaris Cleaner Warranty: 3 years
· Polaris Pump Warranty: 3 years

View attachment 43014
View attachment 43015

Very nice indeed!

I would caution you to research that in-floor cleaner here on TFP as there have been quite a few dissatisfied owners. Just something to be aware of especially as they're pretty pricey.

We have a couple of large trees in the backyard and leaves will be a problem for us. Hence, the PB recommended the in-floor cleaning system. I'll read up a bit more. Thank you.

I would hesitate to have the last payment due at plaster. I think you should negotiate and have a contingency fee as the last payment after everything is done to your satisfaction. It's the way it's done in construction and I know it isn't the norm for pools, but I would at least try.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I would also discuss having him sign off on paying his subs after each phase of construction.

Very nice indeed!

I would caution you to research that in-floor cleaner here on TFP as there have been quite a few dissatisfied owners. Just something to be aware of especially as they're pretty pricey.

We just signed contract tonight and are going with an A&A in floor system. I did extensive research and talked to many people here in AZ and those I talked to say it is absolutely worth the cost. Especially in our dusty climate . I guess only time will tell for my. My neighbor has two large afghan pine trees that drop a lot of needles in my yard. The needles will not be falling directly in the pool but our windstorms will blow them in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We just signed contract tonight and are going with an A&A in floor system. I did extensive research and talked to many people here in AZ and those I talked to say it is absolutely worth the cost. Especially in our dusty climate . I guess only time will tell for my. My neighbor has two large afghan pine trees that drop a lot of needles in my yard. The needles will not be falling directly in the pool but our windstorms will blow them in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The PBs I talked to had different views on our leaf problem. One thought that just having the adding the MDX drain to bottom of pool for leaf and Debris Canister will be good enough. It did not make sense to me how that by itself will help....

I think it is a good idea and if it works, great. If not, lesson learned, although an expensive one. There are too many options and configurations to think about.

I also think that the trick in getting a well performing in-floor system is the way it is installed and/or configured. My PB tells me they have installed many of these systems, so hoping it will work out.

We live in Frisco in an all electric neighborhood. Our only heater option was electric. Our builder refused to sell us one. They said financially it is not feasible to actually use. I believe the comments were along the lines of "It takes longer to heat than gas and once you get the first bill you will never want to turn it on again". We went no spa or heater. It limits our season IN the pool, but I still love just being around outside on the deck.

texasgal did you think about having a propane tank put in your yard? We also don't have gas on our street. A few years ago we had a tank put in so we could have gas appliances. It's been totally worth it. Although we went with a heat pump for our spa and pool. Living in Florida we wanted to have a chiller too.

Nice design.

I have an old friend in Frisco and he put in a pool last season. Seems the thing to do, good luck!

Jim, thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

texasgal did you think about having a propane tank put in your yard? We also don't have gas on our street. A few years ago we had a tank put in so we could have gas appliances. It's been totally worth it. Although we went with a heat pump for our spa and pool. Living in Florida we wanted to have a chiller too.

Our PB recommended the heat pump as well and that is what we will be installing.

Yes, we thought of everything. Propane against city code. We could have run gas line from nearby neighborhood at $10/ft. We are only about $5,000 away from the closest gas line. IT didn't seem worth it. We decided to see how it goes for a season and then investigate solar. I liked the idea of cooling the pool in the summer with solar, but this season turned out to be pretty nice. Our pool never crossed 90 despite full sun all day.

Jim, thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Our PB recommended the heat pump as well and that is what we will be installing.

A heat pump is different than propane. A heat pump is designed to pull heat from the air which means they aren't very effective past a certain outside temperature. Have they installed others in the area? I would see if you can get contacts of their previous customers who have used one and see what they think about theirs. We have a heat pump for our house inside (again only option) and it costs more to heat our house in winter than to cool it in the summer. Terribly inefficient. It might be okay when you are only wanting to extend your pool season a bit, but I would really want to hear from someone who has successfully used one. We did not find it to be a viable option after our research.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.