How do you like your STEAK?

Aug 7, 2015
Plano, TX
Just out of curiosity...

How does everyone prefer their steak? We are talking cow only here! What's your preferred cut? Method of preparation? Method of cooking? From the steakhouse down the road doesn't count!

My personal favorite:
USDA Prime grade NY strip, dry aged 28 days, cut 45mm thick
Natural lump oak charcoal with a chimney starter, no lighter fluid
Let steak rest at room temp for 1 hour. Seasoned liberally with ONLY kosher salt and fresh ground Malabar black pepper
Old school cheap-o square grill, when coals are red hot, pour in. Usually around 1400 degrees F
Grate all the way down, 4 minutes on each side take it to somewhere between rare and med. rare
Rest for 5 minutes, then devour!

Sounds the same as my favorite recipe. Really wouldn't change a thing. Maybe just a little thinner cut. I've tried all sorts of seasonings and rubs but I always come back to the basics as my favorite steak.

Burgers on the other hand... I like to mix in a nice blend of spices such as onion powder, garlic powder, ground mustard, paprika and cayenne and then for saltiness I either go with kosher salt, worcestershire sauce or soy sauce.

I usually buy my meat at Central Market. Sometimes they will have dry aged meat but if not, then I do it myself but in that case I have to buy the whole end of the rib roast and slice it after aging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JVTrain: That sounds like a good seasoning mix for burgers. When it comes to salt on burgers, I usually use Alaea salt. It has a slight iron oxide taste that would probably work well with your mix.

Go to Serious Eats. It's the only website for scientifically cooked beef. J. Kenji Lopez-Alt is a master with beef. I did his bone-in prime rib of beef recipe for Christmas dinner and it was absolutely a smash hit. Only place that has ever distinguished between Maillard reactions and caramelization (they are not the same thing).

I did not answer the question, so here it goes -

Bone-in ribeye, 1" thick, salt & pepper only, gas grilled to med.

OR

Tri-tip with fat-cap, liberally seasoned with SusieQ's Santa Maria style dry-rub and slow roasted @250F on my Big Green Egg smoker (hardwood charcoal, never briquettes!) until 140F internal temp on Bluetooth remote thermometer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow that tri tip sounds amazing

It's a roughly 8hr smoke depending on the weight of the tri-tip. I can put up to 3 tri-tips in my XL smoker at once so I usually roast one for my neighbor and just ask him for reimbursement on the meat.

It literally melts in your mouth. I slice it thin and use it for sandwiches.

:D

Anytime....the recipe comes from a local guy here who has a trailer rig that he pulls around to parking lots. His BBQ grill is literal the size of a landscapers trailer with a metal grate and he uses mesquite tree trunks as logs. He cooks 30-50 tri-tips at a time and sells them for $28-$30 per roast. When he's cooking the smoke attracts people from miles away.

He calls his rig BBQ-4-U.

My next endeavor - Lomo al Trapo

I tried doing this once a long time ago in the oven with a beef roast encased in a paste of kosher salt and water (2 lbs of salt and 1/4cup of water, just enough to make a paste) but I cooked it too long in the oven and it was like dried beef-jerky.

I was inspired to grille steaks today by this thread -

Some filets and NY strip steaks with some grilled baby squash and baby red potatoes. I like to pressure cook the taters for 4mins prior to greasing them up and roasting them on the grille.

Gonna eat gooooooood tonight!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.