Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TF100 comparator

1. Back To Top    #1

TF100 comparator

Does anyone have a picture of the color comparator that comes with the TF100 kit? I would like to see it before ordering. I am having a little trouble with my current block b/c the 2 colors that I try to stay between are too similar in color.
    Thanks!
    12-15k gallons capacity, 18'x34'
    2 main drains 4 returns 1 vacuum line
    pentair intelliflo 4x160 pump 200 sq ft media filter full width (~7' wide) swimout at deep end
    pebble sheen white diamonds

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TF100 comparator

The TF100 uses this one (or something so similar you can't tell the difference from the picture).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

The comparator it uses is the same comparator that Taylor uses in all of its residential OTO test kits.

4. Back To Top    #4

You're not the first to mention a problem distinguishing some of the color blocks. I can't tell the difference between 2 and 3 (on the K-1000 that comes with the TF100). At this point I don't even bother doing the OTO test, I always do the FAS-DPD test.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

5. Back To Top    #5

The value of the OTO test is to tell whether you have chlorine in the pool on a quick daily check when there are no problems going on, not so much for an exact number.
    If it's clear you have no clorine, break out the big kit and find out what's going on.
    If it's pale yellow (below about 2 on the scale) your clorine is too low, break out the big kit and see what's going on.
    If it's yellow you are good for another day until it's time to do your full weekly testing.
    If it's dark yellow to orange to brown you are shocking your pool and the chlorine is still on the high side.
    IF you are doing your full testing weekly this is really all the info you need on a daily basis
    If it's yellow it's good
    if it's paile yellow to clear it's low
    If it's deep yellow to orange or brown it's too high to WAY to high.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks Jason! Its actually the pH that I have the problem with, as long as my chlorine is nice and bright yellow when i do the test, i am none to concerned. Its just the pH that I have been having trouble keeping a lock on. Mostly because of the trouble telling the difference between the 7.5-7.8 colors.
    Thanks all!
    12-15k gallons capacity, 18'x34'
    2 main drains 4 returns 1 vacuum line
    pentair intelliflo 4x160 pump 200 sq ft media filter full width (~7' wide) swimout at deep end
    pebble sheen white diamonds