New Pool owner - Up swamp creek without a paddle

Sep 24, 2015
Illinois
Just last week, my family & I just purchased a 20 year old forclosed home with an inground pool. No one knew any history about the pool - other than the pump & filter, (and most likely a natural gas heater) system is completely missing. It's a 34'x16' liner pool with currently a nasty swamp full of algae and frogs.

I am not worried about installing a heater system for forseeable future, but I've already got my hands on a Hayward SP2610X152S pump and I am still trying to get a 24" Sand Filter asap. My problem is, I don't understand the piping schematic on my pool. I have been thinking about calling the local pool outfit, but I am hoping that I might find more sound professional advice here at TFP.

I've got what appears to be three separate flex conduits of 230V. I've got a capped off natural gas line, and 1.5" & 3/4" PVC piping - with sand residue inside of one of the 1.5" pipes. I understand that the 3/4" piping would have been for the heater system, but it doesn't seem to make much sense. My friend thinks that the drain side would be coming off of the 3-way valve - but after doing some online research, I believe the drain is coming off the piping on the left side.

Any thoughts?

pool piping.jpgIMG_1042.jpg[h=1][/h]

Greetings and welcome from a fellow foreclosure swamper ;)
Fortunately, mine had come with equipment, but here's a pic that might help u as I suspect our set ups are similar:

- - - Updated - - -

Hi again, had to switch to iPad to post the picture:
image.jpg

On mine, there's the skimmer line and main drain line.

Someone with authoritative equipment knowledge is bound to come along and weigh in, but I wanted to welcome you and subscribe to your thread in the event you need assistance with the swamp part once you get the equipment up and running.

Its a good time to go ahead and get a TFP-recommended kit, either the Taylor k2006 or TFT100 specifically so that you can test properly to clear the swamp ;)

And even without equipment running, you can start testing out debris, which will eventually help you get control of swamp creek ;)

Cheers to clear!

How many skimmers do you have? They will be towards the top of the pool. May be rectangle in shape with a basket inside of it.

We can help you I bet. Just give us time and info. while we work through it.

Kim

I would agree that your guess on the pipes on the left should be suction, Skimmer & MD. But question, can you confirm how many skimmers & drains are installed?
Does the pool have any water features such as a waterfall or water slide?
With 3 power feeds, one for the pump, one for the heater and maybe one for a booster pump for a cleaner?
I have limited heater knowledge as my oil fired heater in not that mainstream, but it uses the same size 2" piping as the rest of my install. I would think 3/4 for the heater would be restrictive but i could be wrong. As Swampwoman said someone(s) with strong equipment knowledge should jump in shortly

I would agree that your guess on the pipes on the left should be suction, Skimmer & MD. But question, can you confirm how many skimmers & drains are installed?
Does the pool have any water features such as a waterfall or water slide?
With 3 power feeds, one for the pump, one for the heater and maybe one for a booster pump for a cleaner?
I have limited heater knowledge as my oil fired heater in not that mainstream, but it uses the same size 2" piping as the rest of my install. I would think 3/4 for the heater would be restrictive but i could be wrong. As Swampwoman said someone(s) with strong equipment knowledge should jump in shortly

I've only got one skimmer box, no waterside or waterfall or anything special. With the condition of the water in the pool, I have no way of telling how many drains it has.

There are three severed conduits, but I didn't verify how many of them are 230V. I think at least one of them might be 115V.

Greetings and welcome from a fellow foreclosure swamper ;)
Fortunately, mine had come with equipment, but here's a pic that might help u as I suspect our set ups are similar:

- - - Updated - - -

Hi again, had to switch to iPad to post the picture:
View attachment 42992

On mine, there's the skimmer line and main drain line.

Someone with authoritative equipment knowledge is bound to come along and weigh in, but I wanted to welcome you and subscribe to your thread in the event you need assistance with the swamp part once you get the equipment up and running.

Its a good time to go ahead and get a TFP-recommended kit, either the Taylor k2006 or TFT100 specifically so that you can test properly to clear the swamp ;)

And even without equipment running, you can start testing out debris, which will eventually help you get control of swamp creek ;)

Cheers to clear!

Thanks for the response! Glad you were able to get past your own forclosure mess....I bet it felt good to finally get a clean pool!

Coincidently, my pool is also a grecian style.

Were there any poles or other stuff like that laying around anywhere? You are going to need a pole, leaf rake and brush. You will want to start digging the gunk from the bottom as soon as you can. Even though you can't see it, you'll be surprised what you find in there!!

Leaf Rake example: pool_rake.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I tried calling the local pool company that takes care of my area, seeing if they had any advice for me & to possibly set up an appointment for service.

The guy I talked to mentioned something about draining my pool, and I asked if he knew anything about the local water table. He said yes, it very high in our area - as high as 4 feet below the ground. He went on telling me about how he caved in his own backyard liner pool multiple times and had to fill it in. After we got that sad & embarrassing story out of the way, (without even missing a beat) he then casually advised me to go ahead and drain my pool because the water in my side of town probably isn't as high. His reasoning - my windowless basement isn't flooded. :confused:

- - - Updated - - -

Back to my pool...

I thought about using an air compressor to look for bubbles in the pool to figure out where my water lines are actually going. It sounds like a foolproof idea, but I am afraid that my pool is already winterized. (it appears to be - from the best I can tell).

Wouldn't I risk blowing out my jet caps, etc - if I used an air compressor to test out my piping?

Grego556, looking at your post where you said:
I thought about using an air compressor to look for bubbles in the pool to figure out where my water lines are actually going. It sounds like a foolproof idea, but I am afraid that my pool is already winterized. (it appears to be - from the best I can tell). Wouldn't I risk blowing out my jet caps, etc - if I used an air compressor to test out my piping?
I would tend to agree with you that pushing some air through might be a good idea. At least to confirm your overall suction/pressure sides. Since the house is a foreclosure, I don't see how it could've been properly winterized yet, especially if the water has not been lowered a bit yet. Besides protecting the equipment from a hard freeze, the other reason we winterize is to make opening in the spring easier for you with no or little algae, and that's obviously not an issue since it's a swamp already. :) I would push some air through so you can at least begin to re-route the plumbing the want you want to for your new equipment. That's my 2-cents. :)

Oh, and here's the winterizing link that may come-in handy later for you too: Pool School - Closing an In Ground Pool

Greggo, you're in Il. Take the lid off your skimmer to see if there's a "gizmo" in it...that will help you know if its been winterized or not ;) gizmo looks like a bottle type plug used in the skimmer to avoid freeze harm.

Also, Texas, just so you know, Fanny Mae/Freddy Mac DO have a schedule of expenses for pool closure in season, so the representing realtor MAY have had it closed and been reimbursed for same ;)

You should be able to identify where the skimmers are by looking at the pool deck. Take off the skimmer cover and remove the basket. If you don't want to reach your hand down in there to feel around for the opening in the bottom of the skimmer (suction line) use a stick to poke around and see if there is a plug in the line. If you find the suction line is open, run a water hose down in there, turn on the tap, and watch for where the water comes out. That will be the suction line at the equipment pad. Mark it with a sharpie.

You will probably find the line on the left is the suction, since it has two pipes with valves feeding into 1 pipe. To me that indicates a main drain and a skimmer. Have you tried just opening those two valves to see if anything flows out? The line with the sand residue is probably where a bump type DE filter used to live. My guess is due to the fact that bump DE filters usually have the discharge line on the bottom. Cartridge filters also discharge from the bottom but usually won't have residue in the line. The two reduced lines may have gone to a pressure side cleaner and a SWG or a water feature.

You can feel around the sides of the pool about a foot down to try and locate the returns and see if they are plugged.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.