Old built-in cement skimmer

Min

Aug 11, 2015
Buena Park / California
I am a first time pool owner with an old built in cement skimmer.
It is a custom (?) made, so I cannot even find a basket for the skimmer.
It os the only skimmer/water intake line for my pump.

It has a small T fitting attached in the pipe and connected to pool vac, which I cannot even find a replacement. I do not even know the name of this tee fitting.

Skimmer question
This post has some pictures of my skimmer.

I was doing some internet search and came across a product called skimmer a round.
Skim-A-Round | The Floating Skimmer

Anybody ever used this product or heard about it?
I am thinking about using this product to permanently replace my skimmer.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you in advance as always.

YippeeSkippy - Yes, I have checked the website but the demension of my skimmer is bit weird to fit those skimmer basket unless I somehow custom build my basket.

If skim a round is as good as it claims to be, it can be the perfect solution to my skimmer problem.
But there are many products falsely claiming to do wonders.
I was wondering if anyone knows about this product.

By the way, another problem I found with my skimmer is that sometimes it creates some kind of vortex and suck the water into the pool pump, causing air to go in.
I am not sure why but all the water rushed into the hole in the skimmer and for the brief seconds there is no water in the skimmer. (Water draining into the hole in the skimmer is faster than the pool water moving into the skimmer)

I could minimize this by raising up the water level a bit more but the skimmer loses its function as a skimmer, it will suck water into the pool filter but most floating debris will remain on the top.

So I have to maintain very tight water level to keep my skimmer functional yet to minimize air to go into the pump.

If skim a round is as good as it claims to be, it can be the perfect solution to my skimmer problem.
But there are many products falsely claiming to do wonders.
I was wondering if anyone knows about this product.

It doesn't solve the problem of debris going into your pipes and potentially clogging it. I wouldn't risk it even if I had to customize a skimmer basket myself. I don't think it would be impossible to do.

As to your vortex problem, that happens when your water level is too low. The correct level is usually half way up your skimmer box frame. That allows the skimmer to work yet keeps the suction pipe covered with water at all times.

Debris clogging my pipe or damaging the pool pump is my big concern. Skim a round has a basket so I am very tempted to use it to replace my skimmer.
As for the vortex, low water level definitely increases the frequency of it. However, even water level is 1/3 of skimmer level, it is causing this vortex quite frequently.
I wonder if the design of the skimmer has anything to do with this.

I can't see how a floating skimmer (the SkimARound) is going to protect you from debris possibly going down the pipes/pump? Its just floating in the middle of the pool, whereas something can drop in the water near the original skimmer and be sucked down. Am I missing something there??

Addendum- Ahh.. I see now that the SkimARound is attached to your skimmer via a long tube. I thought it was free floating loose. Well, that *might* work for you if you don't mind that thing floating in the water with you while swimming??

Have you considered customizing a basket for the skimmer instead? To allow you to get rid of all that extra stuff?

Somehow coming up with a customized skimmer basket is an option. Still thinking about it.
Main problem is that I am not a good handyman.
Custom made basket would be a cheaper solution vs. skim a round.
Just wondering if anybody used a skim a round or at least heard about it, since I can consider it as mu last resort.

I'd buy a basket or two that look close and then modify them to fit for you.

Sometimes warming up plastic can make it more bendable and maybe you could shove it into the hole and get it to conform and fit.

Or maybe you just need to chop up a basket in some fashion and reassemble it maybe with zip ties to fit. Perhaps epoxy could reglue the basket back together.

Keep an eye out at stores for small storage bins/buckets/baskets that look like might fit and with a few holes drilled in it could work as a basket.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.