What is causeing my pump to overheat and shut off?

docpt

Sep 23, 2015
WPB, FL
Split from help!! motor overheats and shuts off - Page 2 Zea3

New Hayward Super pump series installed 2x. First one has installed by me to replace an existing old pump motor and casing. It was shutting off after 15 minutes. I returned the equipment and they replaced with a new one of the same kind. Installed it, checked wiring, given a tip by an electrician to check voltage, it read 120 on each terminal, and wen i placed multimeter on both terminals it read 249V which is with +10% of 230V [motor]. It still shuts off and appears to be overheated. Circuit breaker does not trip. It does not turn back on automatically [despite being in a time set], have to turn it back on manually from the remote to turn back on only to shut off again after 15 minutes or so. The longest time it has turned on was 45-50 minutes but shut off again.
Water is flowing pretty good. I looked in the basket and there is no bubble after water starts to circulate. Pressure reading on gauge atop the filter is 10-12psi when running.
I looked at the screen, it says check filter No-flow. Should the flow sensor switch error cause overheating or make the unit shut off automatically?
I must also add that my salt cell15 is already worn out and not using it as a salt chlorinator. Temporarily just adding chlorine for now until I can afford to buy a new salt cell chlorinator.
I also tried to use a bladder drain [Ive read in some thread about it for water flow problem] to push any potential blockage, which did not seem there was. IS there any reason to be suspicious that I have a wrong motor pump? [had hayward pump motor in 2007, then replaced it with American Motor [2 times already], then for the third time this Hayward super pump all of which are 1.5HP. How do I know if the diverging valve is faulty? and can this also cause overheating problems or if not overheating, can any of those cause the pump motor to shut off?
Thank you.

When you checked the voltage, was the motor running under load? Are you sure the motor is wired for 230V? Not knowing how your requirement is wired, I'd think it could be possible to auto shut off, if you have a sensor that indicates the pump has lost prime. I guess the real question is: is the pump really overheating or not?

"...have to turn it back on manually from the remote to turn back on..." suggests which device is shutting the motor down. You may want to start your search there....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.