Pool Closing temperature

bkkari

Aug 21, 2014
Central, MN
Hello,

We have a local pool company scheduled to close our pool next Monday. Although we wouldnt have minded keeping it open a bit longer for the season, we had limited options from this company. This weekend is going be 80+ degrees and we were planning to have friends over on Sunday for one last hurrah, before we close the pool. We like to keep our pool temp around 86-88 degrees. We were planning to bring the chlorine level up to shock level after our party. I've been a reader of forum for sometime, but for some reason hadnt really looked at the "pool closing" threads before and the correct closing process (we should be waiting until pool temp is below 60, etc). Since our pool is still going to be warm on closing day, Im wondering can I still test the water (after the pool is officially closed) and add additional chlorine if needed (to prevent an algae growth?... What would be the problem with adding chlorine to the water when the pump is no longer running for the season? (Im assuming it would just be a lack of circulating that chlorine around adequately in the pool. But is there any risk to doing damage by doing this?). I apologize if my questions sounds unintelligent. Im just not very familiar with this process.

Thanks

Without circulation you run the risk of bleaching the liner in the area where you add the chlorine. Some who have to close early use a sump pump to circulate the water form one end of the pool to the other.

I'm in your area and I'm not sure what company you're using, but there are companies near me that will close into even November, weather permitting of course. Perhaps your location is way off the beaten path and that's why they are limiting your choice of days but I doubt it.

Yes, you could monitor and dose an uncirculated pool with bleach as long as you were to dispense it VERY slowly, probably walking around the pool a bit and brush periodically after adding as well as brush the entire pool after completing the addition to circulate the chlorine manually. Not a small job in a pool as large as yours. I would get a different date from the pool company to close or find another company to close for you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.