Price Gouging?

CBinFL

Sep 17, 2015
Punta Gorda, FL
Hi,
I am in the process of getting quotes for a 29' x 13' pool (no spa) with the following equipment:
Hayward Tri Star VS pump
Hayward Star-Clear Plus 174 sqft cartridge filter
Hayward Aqua Rite 40,000 Gal Salt Chlorine Generator
Hayward Heat Pro 110K BTU titanium heat pump
Paramount PCC 2000 in-floor cleaning & circulation system
Paramount paraglo LED light
3' waterfall, sheer descent

I live in southwest Florida, and the pool will be in a pool cage.

I'm getting quotes over $50,000

I've researched the cost of some of the equipment online:
pump: 800
filter: 380
SWCG: 900
heat pump: 2500

I just have this feeling that I am being taken advantage of.
I know the labor will be costly, and the price includes the pool cage, but really? $53,000? Does that sound right?
Is there some way I can get the salesmen to smarten up and give me a price that is realistic?

thanks!

Yup, I'd probably nix the in floor cleaning.

When I lived in Florida many years ago a screen enclosure over a pool was inexpensive. With the new building codes there is a big cost.

You really can't compare the "parts" from a pool on line and a new pool build. The parts you listed are a minor part of a pool build.

hello, fellow Floridian! the pool cage is probably running about $15-18k depending on the size just for it. you are probably paying around $4-5k for the heater, which I don't think you really need. at worst, just install it later, its an easy add on. in-floor cleaning is a waste of a lot of money as well. my pool is in a pool cage as well, and I have vacuumed the pool ONCE this year. just get a standard pole vacuum and hose for $50. I just brush once a week.

if you take out the pool cage and heater you are looking at around $30-33k for just the pool and necessary equipment, which doesn't seem far off honestly.

also, is that the full list of equipment? what kind of finish on the pool, total decking, etc?

Thanks for the great replies!

I have nixed the in-floor cleaning system, and it reduced the cost by $3,000.
The salesman threw in a robot "at no cost", saying it's worth about $500. (Is there a particular brand I should ask for -- or avoid?)

I'm going to have travertine instead of pavers, so that raised the price a little.

I definitely want the heater, and I need the pool cage - I hate those Cuban frogs, and I don't want to deal with the geckos. I think it'll probably cut down on the cleaning chore a bit, too. (I hope.)

All replies were so helpful - thank you again!

On robots you will find a reasonable split between Maytronics Dolphin and Auquabot, these are the two big names, I have previously owed Maytronics models, currently own an Aquabot and so far am impressed with it. Neither company has what I would call a great reputation for service though. Having said that and since most of the other stuff listed was Hayward, I suspect they will be throwing in a Hayward branded robot.

As to the TriStar VS it may be overkill, but there is a model of the TriStar VS that does integrate with Haywards automation system, something I don't see listed in your options.

Speaking of automation systems how to you plan to control the waterfall, manual valve? Also when you mention 3' waterfall is that the height or the width?

Ike

p.s. you may also want to check on cost to upgrade to the C2002 filter

How many quotes have you gotten? I was getting my existing pool refinished and I had ranges of 18-28k from 5 companies. For a bathroom remodel last year, I had 3-9k range! Some people are just going to be way high and some way low. Do your due diligence.

Sounds like you may just be having sticker shock. But additional quotes will tell you for sure. Most of us have had the same symptoms.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That looks very reasonable to me. Our build three years ago for a 14x30 play pool with no heat pump or cover was $42,000. Dont forget to budget money for yard repair. We spent an additional $3,500 on regrading the yard and sod replacement.

- - - Updated - - -

One more thng you may want to consider is an additional light. I purchased two Jandy Watercolor lights for our pool and I am glad I did. One would not have been nearly enough to light our pool.

On robots you will find a reasonable split between Maytronics Dolphin and Auquabot, these are the two big names, I have previously owed Maytronics models, currently own an Aquabot and so far am impressed with it. Neither company has what I would call a great reputation for service though. Having said that and since most of the other stuff listed was Hayward, I suspect they will be throwing in a Hayward branded robot.
It probably will be a Hayward robot, since I nixed the in-floor cleaning system -- he "threw in" the robot, for free.

As to the TriStar VS it may be overkill, but there is a model of the TriStar VS that does integrate with Haywards automation system, something I don't see listed in your options.

Speaking of automation systems how to you plan to control the waterfall, manual valve? Also when you mention 3' waterfall is that the height or the width?
The width of the waterfall is 3'. Controlled by remote.

Ike

p.s. you may also want to check on cost to upgrade to the C2002 filter
Thank you, I will do that!

- - - Updated - - -

That looks very reasonable to me. Our build three years ago for a 14x30 play pool with no heat pump or cover was $42,000. Dont forget to budget money for yard repair. We spent an additional $3,500 on regrading the yard and sod replacement.

- - - Updated - - -

One more thng you may want to consider is an additional light. I purchased two Jandy Watercolor lights for our pool and I am glad I did. One would not have been nearly enough to light our pool.

Thank you for the estimated additional cost on the yard repair! I will request the additional light, thanks!

I got 2 quotes out of 4 requests.

Both came in about the same price.

For the other two:
One salesman didn't communicate very well, so I stopped working with him.
One salesman has not given me a design, after 2 weeks.

And for the quotes I have, the guy who did give me a quote on his first attempt at design, never got back to me after updating the pool design (based on pictures I sent him). His original quote included the in-floor cleaning system. The updated quote (that I never got) should have the travertine, and no in-floor system. So...I am guessing that the updated quote would've been about the same price as the one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.