Worms covering the bottom of the pool...GROSS!

Jun 12, 2007
North Carolina
We opened the pool up to a nice lovely green swamp mess. I knew that would happen. We closed way too early last year and had many days in the mid 80's after we closed. Another lesson learned.

Anyways, I started everything up today, started adding bleach and began brushing and vacuuming to waste.

OMG. I couldn't figure out how I lost suction so fast, so I checked the skimmer (had a sock on the skimmer to catch all the gunk) and it was absolutely FULL of earthworms. *gag* I had to keep emptying it. I couldn't see the bottom of the pool, but it was obviously covered in worms with the amount of them that were adding up in the skimmer each time I emptied it.

Is that normal?!

BTW...by this evening, the pool is a decent shade of blue. It's not clear, but it's not green either, so I know I'm headed in the right direction. I'm still concerned about the worms though. We do get a lot of earthworms on our porch and yard, but would they actually climb up the pool wall into the pool (it's an ABG pool)?

Thats amazing !!! I have never heard of that before. I have noticed lately with all the rain we have had I am seeing more and more worms on the driveway and sidewalks around the house. I guess after the drought we have been going through they are getting swamped and flooded with all the rain.

Im sure the experts here will have sound advice for you how to get rid of them ...

Far as I know, worms can't climb vertical surfaces. I take it they're all dead, right? Are you sure they're earthworms, and not some other kind of larvae?? I have read posts on here where bugs have laid eggs and the eggs hatched out as larvae and went to the bottom of the pool. Is your plumbing still attached, and is it buried?? The only two ways I can think that earthworms could get in your pool is through the plumbing or through a hole somewhere in the liner. :shock: Let's hope that's not the case.

I also have had earthworms by the hundreds each year when opening.

I have assumed that I get them through a mysterious leak somewhere in the main return line that has also plagued me.

I just empty those skimmer loads directly into the garden where the worms can do some good.

Plumbing buried? I'm not sure. I'll have to ask DH about that. I think he disconnected everything. I sure hope we don't have a hole in the liner anywhere. I guess I'll be able to see better when the water clears up in a few days and I'll give an update.

BTW....yes, they were earthworms. I feed enough of them to my chickens to know. :lol:

Don't sweat a hole in the liner nor the plumbing! This is perfectly normal worm behavior. Worms 'breath' through their skin so will drown if immersed. When it rains, they crawl out of the ground seeking someplace high and dry, your pool deck is ideal for them. However once the rain abates the deck gets uncomfortably dry for them and they seek moisture and the largest source of nearby water happens to be your pool. Singlemindedly seeking a moist place they crawl under the cover and keep going straight into the pool, where they drown and sink to the bottom (let's remember they crawled onto the deck to keep from drowning in the first place :hammer: ). Evolution just didn't prepare the poor little worms to deal with pools and decks :(

Sorry it's a little gross :pukel: to have to empty baskets full of worm carcasses, but unless you can educate the worms on the danger the pool presents, it's just something you've got to deal with as a pool owner.

LOL Nic !

If you have a leak in your liner I would think you would notice a drastic change in your water level when you uncovered the pool. If you dont cover when closing you might not have noticed given all the rain we have had down here in the south the past month or so ...

I cant imagine where they would come from.

waste said:
Don't sweat a hole in the liner nor the plumbing! This is perfectly normal worm behavior.

Yep. Ugliest part of owning a pool for me is the worm chunks I have to clean out of the pump basket on opening.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
so, we have joined the worm people!! Upon opening we found a slug - yuck....got rid of that.
Now we are noticing a few weird looking things that look like large bird droppings. Upon closer examination we found that they are worms with a large white head on them - looks like they are being discoloured by the bleach or something. So we vacummed them out and they came back. Then we vacuumed to waste and I saw them on the lawn. We put the stairs in the pool and it was so nice out that we stayed in the pool for an hour or so, no worms. About one hour after getting out of the pool we noticed worms, about 6 of them back in the center of the pool :rant:
So, is it possible that our first vacuuming on filter just led to them being sucked up into the filter and they are gradually making their way back out? What do you think?
They sure are gross looking - no matter how much wine we drink :shock:
Is there anything else we should be doing -the water looks great, numbers are all within reason, pool was shocked well upon opening.
thanks,
Cathy

So, the worms or sluggly things, whatever they are :?: seem to like our pool. Where might they be coming from? The pool was clean upon opening, every day we get about 10 more. Some last night looked more like slugs rather than worms. Also some look like they could be big bird droppings that have semi liquified. does this make sense? and will it stop soon? I hate bugs!!!!! :rant:
Thanks for all suggestions and commiseration welcome :lol:

some look like they could be big bird droppings that have semi liquified

You have reminded me of my experience with my old AGP when we were in Texas... I was seeing the same thing, and was totally confused by it until I saw what was happening. Mother birds will clean up after their young hatchlings in the nests. They scoop up the baby's droppings in their beak, and carry it off - they evidently like to drop their 'loads' in water. In our case, the birds were actually seeking out the pool to drop them in, and we had a lot from what were undoubtedly many nests in the area.
There were birds literally 'dive bombng' my pool. It let up when the little ones grew up some.

waste said:
Don't sweat a hole in the liner nor the plumbing! This is perfectly normal worm behavior. Worms 'breath' through their skin so will drown if immersed. When it rains, they crawl out of the ground seeking someplace high and dry, your pool deck is ideal for them. However once the rain abates the deck gets uncomfortably dry for them and they seek moisture and the largest source of nearby water happens to be your pool. Singlemindedly seeking a moist place they crawl under the cover and keep going straight into the pool, where they drown and sink to the bottom (let's remember they crawled onto the deck to keep from drowning in the first place :hammer: ). Evolution just didn't prepare the poor little worms to deal with pools and decks :(

Sorry it's a little gross :pukel: to have to empty baskets full of worm carcasses, but unless you can educate the worms on the danger the pool presents, it's just something you've got to deal with as a pool owner.

So let me make sure I got this right..the worms are climbing the stairs to the pooldeck? I'd have to see that in action! Hmmmm...wonder if somebody's YouTubed it....

MikeInTN said:
waste said:

So let me make sure I got this right..the worms are climbing the stairs to the pooldeck? I'd have to see that in action! Hmmmm...wonder if somebody's YouTubed it....

Mike, someone has finally noticed that I was addressing an IG pool not an AG :oops:

However, I still believe that I'm correct in what's happening and there is some sort of ground level deck involved with NicInNC's pool. Let's think about this ... if worms were getting in through the MD or the liner, there would be no water in the pool (unless the worms are repairing the holes they make after they get through the liner or plumbing :p )

As we all know, even with a sig that basically describes the pool and it's equipment and location, some questions need a pic (or better yet, us BEING there) to allow a quick and 100% 'fool proof' answer.

Cathy (Waterbug), I just want to say "HI" and please remember to give my old hometown my regards :wink:

Ted - Richmond says hi :wave:

More yuckies in the pool this morning, we do have a little deck attached but it's hard to see how they are getting up it. Probably the birds. It's been really hot here so the water level slowly creeps down as well, maybe the birds are drinking it too! We are due to get lots of rain in the next few days so hopefully the birds and the worms will take shelter and leave me my pool :roll:

waste said:
MikeInTN said:
waste said:

Mike, someone has finally noticed that I was addressing an IG pool not an AG :oops:

However, I still believe that I'm correct in what's happening and there is some sort of ground level deck involved with NicInNC's pool. Let's think about this ... if worms were getting in through the MD or the liner, there would be no water in the pool (unless the worms are repairing the holes they make after they get through the liner or plumbing :p )

As we all know, even with a sig that basically describes the pool and it's equipment and location, some questions need a pic (or better yet, us BEING there) to allow a quick and 100% 'fool proof' answer.

Cathy (Waterbug), I just want to say "HI" and please remember to give my old hometown my regards :wink:

Now Ted...this is kind of like the company where I work...logic need not apply.. :lol: :lol: I agree, the worms are getting in there by getting up on the deck by hook or crook because, as you said, holes in liners or plumbing = no water in pool. I'd love to see how they're getting in, though..especially with the amount of worms they're getting out. one or three, I could understand..but enough to fill up a skimmer basket?? Now that's a lot o' worms!

AAAAAAAAh ha........we caught the bird. Big old blackbird dumped a load into the pool whle someone was watching.....guess that is where the "poops and worms" are coming from.
so, how can i persuade the blackbirds to move along??? :whip: :whip:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.