Pentair question

Jul 28, 2014
Manhawkin/ NJ
Hi I'm about to sign my contrace on my pool looking for some feed back price wise. I'm having a pentair intellichlor installed on my new pool and the builder is charging 1800 for it. Is this too much? Is it something I could install after the fact pretty easily if I purchased it from Amazon?

Which IC model is it? IC-20, -40, or -60? What automation system do you have, if any? How handy are you with cutting, gluing PVC? Doing basic 120/240V electrical work?

Even the high end IC-60 model retails for just under $1000. Is the additional cost of the PB doing it worth not having to deal with the hassle? Warranty issues are harder to resolve with most of the big pool equipment makers if you go DIY, so the best you can count on is the standard 1-year warranty against gross manufacturing defect.

I've seen literature stating that they only offer a 60 day warranty for self installs. Check with your pool builder how long the warranty will be if they install it. You might get 3 years if you are installing all Pentair products at the same time.

Make sure you get the IC-40 for that size of pool. If they want to throw in the IC-60 it should be fine but it might be too large for your pool without automation controlling the SWG.

Last edited:
If your pool is 16x32 and averages 4 feet deep, that's just over 15,000 gallons. Here at TFP we recommend oversizing SWG cells by double your pool volume. This allows the cell to last longer, running at lower output percentages. In your case, double would be 30,000 gallons. Get the IC-40.

Agreed with JVTrain, I have a 16000 gallon pool and an IC-40. I run it at about 50% right now. An IC 20 will be inadequate. When my cell dies, I'll be upgrading to an IC60

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well... on amazon, the IC20 is $475 and the IC40 is $525.... so there shouldn't be much uptick in cost.

And if he's a licensed Pentair installer he should be getting it at a much lower price than retail!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys think I'm gonna cancel the salt system and diy it. If I can buy the 40 for 800, I'm not gonna pay 1800 installed just for the warranty. I can buy the system twice and still have 200 left over. My uncle is an electrician so should be pretty easy install right?

They are pretty easy to install with basic PVC work and electrical knowledge.

Have you looked into Pentair automation? It makes the SWG integration simple and you will have a lot more control over the output of the cell.

Make sure you have the pool builder allow space at the pad for the install.

It is a control center that allows you to have full control of the pool without going out to the pad. What makes it nice for the SWG's is that the output of the cell can be controlled by 1% increments. Without it the output is controlled by 20% increments. Here is a link to their automation, PENTAIR Automation.

You can give more details of the pool and someone here can suggest the best system for your pool.

It's going to be a vinyl 16x32 free form oasis is the name of shape not sure if that is generic. It will be 3 foot to 5.5 foot deep. I'm in nj so only gonna get a couple months a year to use it. If I got the easy touch would I still need the power thing for the salt?

You can get the Easy Touch with the IC-40 built into it so you do not need to buy the power supply for it. Just an example of this is, Pentair 520593 EasyTouch 4 Function ControlPool or Spa Only with IC40 (40,000 Gallon) Salt Chlorine Generator.

You will need to decide which one would be best for your pool. Start researching at Pentair's home page for the options and ask your builder how much they will charge. Get your prices online so you know about what the cost should be and then you will know his profit margin.

^^^ Good advice. That's what I have, and I'm glad I did it. The automation is very helpful and controls the IC40 very nicely.

If your pool is also going to have a spa, then you should seriously consider getting the 8 function version for ~500 more. It may not seem necessary, but tt will let you control more water features if you add them in the future. For example, landscape lights, bubblers, waterfalls/waterslides, etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.