Stuck pool ladder

Hello everyone. I am new to this site and this is my first post. I have an inground pool, and I want to put a safety cover over it this winter. I have a ladder that is in the concrete with a bolt beside it. I found out last night that this is a wedge system. I also found out that you should loosen the bolt about 3/4" and then tap it back down to release the wedge. My problem is that when I try to tap it back down, it doesn't go back down. I even bent one of the bolts trying to get it back down. This ladder hasn't been removed since I have lived at my house (7 years) and I don't know how old the pool is or if it was ever removed. My question is how can I get the wedges to release? I am sure something is corroded since they have never been removed. My initial thought was to stick a sturdy screwdriver down the bolt hole and tap it with a hammer, but I don't know if this will damage the wedge. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Kevin

Ore eves...same thing happened to me. On one rung my hubby tapped the bolt and it came out. The other.....no go. We even chipped out the concrete around it and had to end up using a sawzaw to cut the rung off. Inside we found a piece of very tall rebar and the rung was completely concreted in. Our ladder was pretty corroded so we are going without one.

I've read that you can sometimes flush the area real good with water and WD-40. That will sometimes help release a stubborn wedge.

Once you get it out, you'll want to use some type of anti-seize compound so it's easier next time.

I blasted mine with a pressure washer, let it dry for a couple days then hit with WD-40. A few taps and it came out. Your experiance may differ.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.