Just got the K-2006.. FC test

jjdurrant

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 27, 2008
MN
Just want to make sure I am doing this right. I added 10ml of spa water to the larger cylinder with two scoops of the 870 powder. I counted out 20 drops of the 871 reagent before the water turned clear from pink. This means my FC is 10ppm correct?

Ok quick follow-up.. my tub is 400gal and Pool Math says to bring my FC from 0 to 5 I need to add a little over 4oz or half a cup. However, It takes me a full cup just to get to .5ppm. Any idea why that would be? I am just using chlorine method.

I don't recall now if it was before or after.. I want to say after though.. I just added 4 cups to see what that gives me and will report back. FC was 0 before adding those 4 cups. How long should I wait to retest? I have been waiting about 30 mins previously but not sure if that's long enough. I will also check the CC.

Ok just tested again and the 4 cups put the FC at 14ppm (10ml sample, 1 scoop of R-870, 28 drops of the R-871). Pool Math says that 32oz should of equated to 38ppm..

Also had an interesting result with the TA test.. using a 25ml sample, the water turned blue not green after adding two drops of R-0007 and five drops of R-0008. Also, after 18 drops of R-0009 the water turned yellow and not red.. hmmm

Ok just tested again and the 4 cups put the FC at 14ppm (10ml sample, 1 scoop of R-870, 28 drops of the R-871). Pool Math says that 32oz should of equated to 38ppm..

Also had an interesting result with the TA test.. using a 25ml sample, the water turned blue not green after adding two drops of R-0007 and five drops of R-0008. Also, after 18 drops of R-0009 the water turned yellow and not red.. hmmm

That does seem really low for your dosing amounts. Is the bleach old or lower % than you think?

That's normal behavior from the TA test sometimes, I believe due to higher FC concentrations but don't quote me on that. You're still observing the color change, regardless of the hue it starts and ends with. 180 ppm TA is pretty high. Seeing lots of pH rise?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bleach is Clorox Germicidal Concentrated which is all Home Depot had at the time.. shows 8.3% Sodium Hypochlorite. Yes, pH has been over 8.0+. I am working on getting it down using Leisure Time Spa Down. I will try an consistently keep it at 7.0-7.2 which with the jets going to aerate should hopefully bring down the TA.

If you can find it, check the date code on the side of the container. I wouldn't imagine HD has very much turnover on bleach so it could be old and lost some potency but it would have to be quite old to only raise your FC by as little as it did.

TA can be a pain to get down in a spa, you probably have similar fill water to me with mine being around 200-250 ppm TA on a fresh fill. Takes me a week or more of daily MA dosing to bring the TA down to below 100. At least spas are really good at aeration!

Good call.. not seeing a date code on the jug.. I may just start getting it at Target or grocery store which likely has a higher turnover rate. Yeah, my fill water is high.. just filled about a month ago. I will get this pH in check and then pickup some MA to help with the TA lowering. Appreciate the help!

The high fc will cause the pH to read a false high. Fc needs to be below 10 to get an accurate ph test. The TA test will also be off color as you describe. Try adding three drops of r-007 instead of two and mix for five seconds.

The chlorine is probably being used by bather waste. Some will show as cc. You will probably get a fairly high cc level immediately after adding bleach.

If you don't have cya in the water, you should use dichlor until you get to 30 ppm cya.

With a really high ta, the ph will be difficult to keep below a ph of 8.3. Hot water with lots of aeration will offgas CO2 like crazy. The ph probably won't be controllable until the ta gets below 80.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.