Polyquat30 versus Polyquat60

run53

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2010
I have to pay the pool company to close my pool this year because I just won't have time to do it. This is the first time I have had them close it since I've owned the pool.

Anyway...I asked them about the chemicals they use and they said the only thing they will add is 2 quarts of Polyquat30. I've never heard of that. Is that the same as 1 quart of Polyquat60? Is it just the concentration of Polyquat? In addition, they will put it in and only leave the pump on for about 20 minutes after putting it in. I understand that it usually takes 24 hours with pump running to properly mix into the pool. Should i be putting the Polyquat in myself 24 hours in advance and telling them not to do it?

It's just a lower concentration of Polyquat. The dosage would be twice as high. As noted on the ProTeam website, "For those who are looking a strong algaecide at half the price, try Polyquat 30." If you compare their dosages for Polyquat 60:

Initial treatment: Add 6-11 ounces per 10,000 gallons of pool water
Maintenance dose: Add 2-4 ounces per 10,000 gallons of pool water weekly

compared to Polyquat 30:

Initial treatment is 13 to 24 ounces per 10,000 gallons of water
After initial treatment, maintenance treatment is 4-9 ounces per 10,000 gallons of pool water weekly

you can see that the dosage for the Polyquat 30 is a little more than double that of Polyquat 60. If Polyquat 30 is truly half the price, then I don't see the point for this product unless people balk at paying a higher price for a quart of product because they don't think they will be using it quickly enough. On poolgeek.com, ProTeam Polyquat 60 is $20.60 while Polyquat 30 is $11.39. I don't know why someone wouldn't be will to pay $20 for a quart.

As for mixing for 24 hours, perhaps the Polyquat 30 is not as viscous so will disperse faster, but it really depends on your water temperature. Up to you if you want to put it in yourself and have the pump run longer. It certainly wouldn't hurt.

Great....I appreciate the info. Sounds like I can just go ahead and have them do it then. Since they are putting 2 quarts of polyquat30, it seems that is the same as me putting in 1 quart of polyquat60. Only difference being the pump run time to mix it up. Maybe I'll just pick up the poly30 from them a day in advance and put it in myself as the pool store is only a couple miles away.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.