Need Help With SWG Purchase Please

mickey4paws

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 10, 2009
S.E. MI
Hi, we are going to be converting our inground, vinyl lined, pool from Baquacil to Chlorine/Salt Water Generator. Our pool is 20,000 gallons. So far, I have been looking at the following 2 SWG's:

Jandy AquaPure 1400:

http://www.jandy.com/html/products/chlo ... re1400.php

Hayward SwimPure Plus:

http://www.haywardnet.com/inground/prod ... ductID=173

Even though our pool is roughly 20,000 gallons, I've heard that getting SWG rated for a bigger pool would be better. One thing I noticed was that the Jandy has a rating of 1.25 lbs chlorine in a 24 hour period, while the Hayward has a 1.45 lbs chlorine in a 24 hour period. Do you think this even matters?

I want a SWG that is dependable and reliable. So my question is does anyone have either of these brands, and if so, how has your experiences been?

Any opinions on either of these brands, or any other brand that you can recommend, would be greatly appreciated. I am a complete SWG newbie!

The Hayward is the same as the Goldline SWG (Hayward owns Goldline) and is, IMHO, a better unit. The fact that the Hayward/Goldline produces more chlorine gas is something to consider!http://www.goldlinecontrols.com/Products/AquaRite.aspx

FYI, Hayward just recently started releasing the Goldline units with the Hayward brand on them (they have been private branded as Biogaurd Mineral Springs and other brands in the past also),but they are identical so check around for pricing. Goldline is one of the 'big names' in SWGs in the US and it's basically all they manufacture besides solar heat controllers. The same cannot be said for Jandy, which is now owned by Zodiac. When they were Waterpik industries they acquired Chlormatic SWGs but since being bought by Zodiac their SWGs are no better than the Zodiac units, IMHO.

Waterbear, thank you so much for the reply and great information. I really appreciate it. So is the Hayward SwimPure Plus the same as the Aquarite XL? I found the specs for the Aquarite XL here and it looks to me to be the same?

http://www.haywardnet.com/inground/prod ... ductID=129

One other question about SWG too. When we backwash, the water goes to the backyard. Do you think that would cause problems for the lawn?

mickey4paws said:
Waterbear, thank you so much for the reply and great information. I really appreciate it. So is the Hayward SwimPure Plus the same as the Aquarite XL? I found the specs for the Aquarite XL here and it looks to me to be the same?

http://www.haywardnet.com/inground/prod ... ductID=129

One other question about SWG too. When we backwash, the water goes to the backyard. Do you think that would cause problems for the lawn?
The only difference between the regular Aquarite and the XL, from my understanding, is the distribution channel (builder vs. direct to consumer). The Swimpure brand is to support the "Totally Hayward' advertising campaign. (Kind of hard to say "Totally Hayward" when the SWG is branded Goldline, even though it's part of Hayward! :wink: )

As far as backwashing on the lawn most users who do this report no problems. However, be aware that some vegetation is salt sensitive so YMMV!

Thanks, Waterbear. I downloaded the manuals for both the AquaRite and the SwimPure and they seem to be exactly the same. I think they just substituted the name of the SWG to make them seem different :)

From one website I checked, it also looks like the AquaRite XL comes with the installation kit, while the regular AquaRite doesn't.

Meanwhile, I found a rebate for $75 for puchase of any of these Goldline units. Even though the rebate was posted on a particular website below, it looks to be a general rebate and not dealer specific:

http://americanbestpoolsupply.com/PDF/g ... ate-09.pdf

I've decided to get the AquaRite XL. Not sure if I need the installation kit or not because I don't know if this is something my poolman would need or if he has his own installation stuff.

Oops, just thought of another question. In the installation directions for the AquaRite, it shows the control panel hooked up to a filter timer. We don't have a timer. So I wonder if this will be a problem, although maybe getting a filter timer would be good? We usually just turn on the pump when we get up in the morning and shut it off after dinner.

Thanks again, Waterbear, your help is greatly appreciated!

I really

waterbear said:
The only difference between the regular Aquarite and the XL, from my understanding, is the distribution channel (builder vs. direct to consumer). The Swimpure brand is to support the "Totally Hayward' advertising campaign. (Kind of hard to say "Totally Hayward" when the SWG is branded Goldline, even though it's part of Hayward! :wink: )

mickey4paws, I hope you don't mind me tagging on to your subject post as I'm also interested in purchasing a SWG.

Waterbear - I'm just north of you in the Drs Inlet area of Orange Park. My pool builder installs the Aquarite model and quoted me $1450 today for the complete install, including electric, salt, and startup. Does that sound like a fair price? (BTW, I hope I'm not violating forum rules by posting a quoted price - I did check forum rules). I'm going to do some additional checking but not familiar with other pool service providers. Are your familiar with anyone in my area? I've been reading the forum and you always seem to provide good info and advice. Thanks.

I'm more familiar with the St. Aug builders but the price is about right for a fully installed unit. Don't trust the builder to actually get everything balanced properly for you, btw. (But that's why WE are here, isn't it?)
I would recommend reading these threads to get the most out of your SWG:
pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator
water-balance-tips-for-a-swg-t3663.html
pool-school/lowering%20total%20alkalinity
how-to-lower-ta-t5341.html
so-you-want-to-add-borates-to-your-pool-why-and-how-t4921.html

mickey4paws said:
Ahh, got it, thanks Waterbear :) Any recommendations on an inexpensive timer?
Intermatic is pretty much the industry standard. The manual time clocks are fine and not that expensive but if you want you can spurge on one of their digital models.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks, Waterbear. I talked to my PB last night and he's going to pick me up the manual timer. He also told me the Aquarite is the ones he installs on new construction. I'm ordering the Aquarite SWG today and he's going to install that next week. Then he'll come out the second week of May to open the pool. We'll do the Baquacil to chlorine conversion at that time, and then change the sand in the filter. I'm excited to get away from the nasty Baquacil but hope the conversion isn't too horrible. I just bought 12 lbs of sodium percarbonate to use for that. Anyway, thanks again and I'm sure I'll be back with questions once the conversion process is started. I hope I won't be too much of a pain :)

Thanks also for the links you posted. I've printed them all out to study.

Jagfan, don't forget there's a $75 rebate on the Aquarite. I posted the link above.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.