Steps needed to replace pool light

Apr 11, 2009
Hello -- Just found this forum, looks like a very useful resource!

I couldn't find the following by searching, so I apologize if this has been covered, maybe someone can point me to it if its out there.

My question is -- what do I need to do to replace my pool light? Its an in-ground (gunnite) pool, the light is in a section of pool about 4 ft deep and its about 2 feet below the water line. I guess the first thing to know is should a novice (me) attempt to do this at all or just call a pool pro? Would I need to drain down the pool below the light to replace it or is this an underwater operation?

Thanks in advance!

Swimming in the dark ...

Marc

Welcome to TFP...

VERY IMPORTANT: Before you start make sure the power going to the light is OFF!!!

If the light was originally installed correctly you shouldn't need to drop the water at all. You should see a screw at top of the light. You will want to remove this screw and then the light can be removed. You may need to move it around a little bit to get it removed as there should also be a hook at the bottom keeping it in place.

Once loose you should be able to take the fixture and move it to the top of the deck. There should be enough extra cord wrapped around the back of the light that you're able to do this.

To replace it you will need to see what make/model light you have and then match it up. You will also need to see how many feet of cord you need to get back to your power source. The entire cord must be replaced and run through the underground conduit. I would recommend using the old cord and attach it to the new cord to pull it through. The old cord can not be used as the new fixture will have a cord sealed to it from the factory.

Just remember when buying your new fixture to match up the make/model so that it fits in the current niche along with the cord length and voltage. Pool lights are either 12v or 110/120v.

JoshU said:
Once loose you should be able to take the fixture and move it to the top of the deck. There should be enough extra cord wrapped around the back of the light that you're able to do this.
In a perfect world, but I have seen several pools that were not left with enough cord to get the light on the deck. In that case you might have to drain the pool slightly if you are trying to service the light. Better yet, in that case call the builder back in to do it for you!

Also, many times in older light niches the tab that the screw goes into that holds the light can break off. If so it's an easy fix. You just need to pick up a "light wedge" to secure the light. The pool supply will know what you are talking about (if they don't then RUN and don't walk to a different one!)

What Josh said is correct and good info! However, so is what Waterbear said :?

You need to know where the junction box is for the light and disconnect the wires there proir to pulling the old light cord back through. (I tie a string, or better yet an electrician's snake -a/k/a fish tape- to one wire so that you can feed the new wires through -- I think Josh was saying to cut the wire on the old light at the pool end and tie the new one to it and pull it back to the junction box :idea: ) When you secure the new cord to the string/ snake/ old wire - loop ~ 3" of the wire to whatever you're using to pull it through the conduit and use electrical tape to secure it - tape the 'bejezus' out of it, it REALLY sucks to have the wire come off in the middle of pulling it :grrrr: ! The reason for only securing it with 1 of the wires is to make it as small as possible to facilitate the pulling through bends.

(Evan, what do you know about light wedges? It almost sounds like you have had to use one on your spa light :p :mrgreen: )

waterbear said:
waste said:
(Evan, what do you know about light wedges? It almost sounds like you have had to use one on your spa light :p :mrgreen: )
I'll never tell... and I am still indebted to your for that one! :)

Evan, you never were nor are you now indebted to me for anything 8) I'll tell you again how much time/ trouble and hassle your advice has saved me and my boss :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.