Oct 3, 2010
Cypress, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all,

Getting our bids in Cypress, TX and we're asking the builders if they can put in a Stenner chlorine pump. One builder said the following "That particular chlorine pump can be problematic if not monitored correctly. We are preparing to renovate a clients’ pool that wound up with EXTREME acid water conditions due to his use of a Stenner pump. If not monitored, they can lead to serious plaster, tile and coping damage."

Is this hogwash? It sounds to me like the owner just didn't balance his pH regularly.

Thanks

Well clearly they're wrong if the Stenner was being used to add chlorine since it would not make acidic water . But this is the first I recall reading of anyone having a runaway Stenner pump. The only way that could actually happen is if the timer for the pump went bad. And even then if you're testing as often as you should it should've been found within a day or two.

Well, you can use a Stenner pump for both acid dosing applications and chlorine dosing. There is always the chance that the Stenner pump could suffer from some unintended glitch (like anything electronic) and/or the mechanical timer not close properly which would lead to overdosing. Most often the error is human-error from not adjusting the pump run times properly. So if it's an acid dosing pump, I could easily see an unattended pool getting walloped with too much acid and having the pH drop.

But your gut-feeling is correct - the solution is proper and consistent pool water testing. If you stay on top of your testing, then issues like that are less likely to happen or become problems.

In our build, the Hayward control center has a 'fail-safe' mechanism that prevents the Stenner from running continuously.
Once it detects that the acid (or in your case, Chlorine) is being fed continuously for more than a pre-determined period of time, it shuts it off and sends an email to me - even if the feed was legitimate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.