Klean Strip Green Muriatic Acid %

Aug 19, 2015
SW Ohio
We bought some Klean Strip Green Muriatic Acid at Lowe's. It did not have the acid % listed on the bottle. We came home and looked it up and it is 20% acid....but I do not see that as an option on PoolMath so not sure how much we need to add? Should I just pick the 14.5% and then add about 5% more than what PoolMath says?

Are you sure that there are not any additives in that? I saw it, but didn't buy it for fear of soaps or some other types of "cleaners" in that bottle.

I brought the same product and I ended up returning it because of the "green" in the name. I could not determine what else was in the bottle and didn't want any side effects. I likened it the "splashless, odorless, etc." bleach available, all of which may cause foaming, bubbles, etc. I generally get the regular MA at Menards. I can't remember if Lowe's carried it in the paint department or not.

From the SDS, there are no other ingredients listed other than hydrochloric acid so there are no detergents in the product. It would be fine to use for lowering pH in a pool.

As far as how much to add, the 20% is not a part of Pool Math. If you use the 14.5%, you want to use LESS than indicated by Pool Math since the acid is stronger than 14.5%. I'd suggest using the 28.3% drop down and recommended volume to see how much pH change it produces and adjust based on observed pH change.

By stating <30%, they can have the concentration nearly anything they want. It could easily range from a low of 15% to 25%, and the general public would have no clue.

I only buy the full strength, 31.45%. Have always found it at our Home Depot here in Bullhead City, AZ

Take care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Some of these manufacturers add cationic or amphoteric surfactants like Tomamine to increase viscosity and reduce surface evaporation thus reducing fume levels. The surfactant is generally harmless and will be broken down in pool water slowly.

Not worth the extra cost IMHO.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.