Storage for Liquid Chlorine over Fall and Winter Months

Catanzaro

Platinum Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 30, 2014
Monmouth County, New Jersey
I probably have about 20 gallons of 12.5% left (Now at about 10% concentration). The current temperature is around 75*. By next month, the temperatures will be dropping quickly, especially during the evening outside. Should I store the liquid chlorine down in the basement (covered up) or in the shed, where clearly the outside temperatures will drop and stay very low in the winter, hopefully preserving some of the concentration. The basement usually is usually no colder than 60* in the dead of winter, while outside we go from 40's to 60's. Thank you.

I purchased extra as the deal was too good to pass up. Live and Learn.

The colder the storage the better. Outside in a shed would be good as long as you can keep it from freezing solid and damaging the containers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, here are the freezing points from Chem Geek.

The freezing point depression of a 12% Sodium Hypochlorite solution (which also has 9.4% salt due to the manufacturing process of chlorine) is 15.3C or 27F so the freezing point is -15.3C or 5F. So unless you are expecting sustained temperatures well below freezing (i.e. closer to 5 degrees Fahrenheit or below), then it should be safe.

For 8.25% bleach, this is 9.7C = 17.4F.

The freezing point for 6% Sodium Hypochlorite as found in Clorox Regular and most Ultra brands of bleachis -9.7C or 14.6F

The freezing point of full-strength Muriatic Acid (31.45% Hydrochloric Acid) is -46C (-50.8F)(for Hasa)

The freezing point of half-strength Muriatic Acid (say, 15% Hydrochloric Acid) is -18C (-0.4F)

Richard

Outside temps could be that low , but no more than a few days. I will start with shed and move to garage if need be as the temperature is about 50F, if outside is that cold. This will be an interesting experiment to see if shed , which is not insulated will stay a few degrees warmer then outside. Will post results in spring. We usually do not get to 5 F. Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.