Stenner pumps and acid

If you have a spare relay, I don't see why not. The Stenner's are typically controlled by a standard 120V timer switch. The EasyTouch relays would be similar.

One suggestion - mount the pump away from the acid container. The biggest downfall of some of the commercially available systems like Pentair's IntelliPH is that the pumps are located right above the chemical tanks. The acid vapors eventually rot away the motor components leaving the user to have to buy spares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok awesome. Also anyone know if you can wire the stenner to a pentair easy touch panel as an aux feature...similar to the pool lights ect?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

That is exactly what I did. I have a ET 8 and the far right relay was not used. I wired a plug to that and plugged my Stenner into the plug ( to save warranty on Stenner ). I use the last button on my wireless to control Stenner manually if I want. I have it programmed into ET8 to come on when pump is on.

Hello, pool newbie here. I am seriously considering a Stenner since my chlorinator does not work at low speed with my Intelliflo. Need to wire it to my Pentair EZ Touch 8. Can anyone give some tips? Would be appreciated.

The biggest downfall of some of the commercially available systems like Pentair's IntelliPH is that the pumps are located right above the chemical tanks. The acid vapors eventually rot away the motor components leaving the user to have to buy spares.

I know the Stenner chemical storage tanks are vapor free - well designed to preclude escaping acid vapors. Is this not the case with Pentair's storage tanks....would be ill designed IMO if acid vapors are allowed to escape the tank.

I know the Stenner chemical storage tanks are vapor free - well designed to preclude escaping acid vapors. Is this not the case with Pentair's storage tanks....would be ill designed IMO if acid vapors are allowed to escape the tank.

If you search the threads on IntelliPH, you find plenty of examples of folks complaining about the short motor life. Even the Pentair manuals state that motor lifetimes are only a year. The problem with the IntelliPH design is that the motor is mounted onto the tank. So there's no way one can add acid to the tank without vapors hitting the motor. The tank itself may be well-sealed but it's simply where the motor is mounted that is the problem. It would be far better to have the tank and motor spatially separated by a good distance so that vapors are less likely to contact anything critical. Using diluted MA (15% strength) seems to also help reduce wear & tear. It's probably even advisable to drain the tank of acid in the off season since most people use a lot less MA when the weather gets cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

I did read about those acid corroision issues with the InteilliPH pump - something that I do not see ever happening with the Stenner combo tank/pump set up given that the fill lid on the Stenner tank is to the right of the pump housing (i.e. out a harms way from vapors during the flll process). Somewhat surprised that this built in obsolesence on Pentair's part has not beenr rectified.

From the IntelliPH Operation & Installation Manual -

Working with muriatic acid can be dangerous. When cleaning the IECG always wear rubber gloves and eye protection. Always add acid to water, do not add water to acid. Always work in a well-ventilated area. Splashing or spilling acid can cause severe personal injury and/or property damage. Pentair always recommends 1:1 dilution when using full strength muriatic acid. When mixing, remember to always add acid to water.

Also this -

IMPORTANT! Replace the IntellipH pump head tube (P/N 522480) once a season (yearly). For units built before 8/2014, replace the whole pump head (P/N 521514) every season.

So on older units, the entire pump head (not motor drive, just the head) had to be replaced. Newer units just use a replaceable tube much like Stenner pumps. Tubes are cheap, pump heads are not. So it looks like they wised up a bit when people complained about the excessive annual costs. However, note that they "recommend" you use a 1:1 acid dilution which is essentially the same as using 10 Baume (15%) MA. 10 Baume MA barely produces any fumes which makes it a lot easier to pour and work with but you will definitely be refilling the tank more frequently.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Question about adding diluted acid to the storage container- when adding water and acid while there is still some diluted acid in the container, is it better to:
-add water first (adding water to acid is not good) then the acid?
-add the acid first, then the water (again, adding water to acid- no bueno)?
-dilute the acid in a different container, then try to pour that into the first container (can't see how to do that without getting acid all over my pool equipment)?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.