Help picking SWG

May 18, 2008
I was originally supposed to get a salt system from my installer last summer and he never provided it(story for another day). Anyway, I have decided to buy a system this spring and here are the specs on my pool. It's a 16x32 3foot shallow 8.5foot deep end, vinyl liner pool. I have a 1.5hp Waterway single speed pump. I think the pool calculates to about 22,000 gallons. I like the systems I've seen that have the digital readouts but am looking to stay in a reasonable budget hopefully 700 to 800 dollars. I was looking at the CompuPool sytems on e-bay but am open to suggestions. I'm not real informed on what to buy and would appreciate any help as far as size and brand system to buy. Thanks in advance!

Looking around the SWG market this year, it seems that many of the mid-priced units have raised their prices, so that most of the brands are now going for around $1000. The price contrast with the Intex unit, at about $150, has become even more dramatic. You would think that if Intex can be as inexpensive as they are, that others could be around $500. Sadly, that doesn't seem to be happening.

I keep waiting, expecting for prices to drop (as with other "new" tech things, like VCR and then DVD players, when they were new very pricey, and then eventually something else New came along and the prices came down) but that's not happening here.... arrgh. It makes you wonder how Intex is making money from it...

I've been holding off on this comment for a while, especially since many forum users have had good experiences with Intex, but I must say that Intex is a toy manufacturer, and the Intex SWG is viewed by many as, indeed, toy-quality.

The least expensive pro-grade SWG I've seen is the Resillience, by American Salt Systems. Sadly their A-3 model, for up to 15K gallons is no cheaper than the Goldline or other's smaller systems. Their A5 (up to 35K gallons) is a better buy. Of course, sadly again for this forum, the American Salt Systems have internet protected pricing, so you best pricing will be from the dreaded "pool dealer". :mrgreen:

frustratedpoolmom said:
I keep waiting, expecting for prices to drop (as with other "new" tech things, like VCR and then DVD players, when they were new very pricey, and then eventually something else New came along and the prices came down) but that's not happening here.... arrgh. It makes you wonder how Intex is making money from it...

it's never going to happen
unlike DVDs and VCRs, SWG cell requires use of precious metals and titanium which aren't cheap

where does Intex make money, that's a question indeed

every now and then i get offers from Chinese companies to distribute their SWGs in Australia, and i must tell you i didn't get prices lower than 200-250 USD. and that's if i buy in bulk.

i think that Intex either make money from the pools and make a loss on SWGs or they sell them to Amazon at higher prices, and Amazon resells them at lower price, while profiting from internet ads

i'd be really interested to hear what the prices are from Intex distributors, if there are any

budster said:
I've been holding off on this comment for a while, especially since many forum users have had good experiences with Intex, but I must say that Intex is a toy manufacturer, and the Intex SWG is viewed by many as, indeed, toy-quality.

The least expensive pro-grade SWG I've seen is the Resillience, by American Salt Systems. Sadly their A-3 model, for up to 15K gallons is no cheaper than the Goldline or other's smaller systems. Their A5 (up to 35K gallons) is a better buy. Of course, sadly again for this forum, the American Salt Systems have internet protected pricing, so you best pricing will be from the dreaded "pool dealer". :mrgreen:
I have to agree 100% here. Intex is best known for their vinyl 'inflatables' (beach balls and tubes) rather than their pools! I would call that a toy company also!

As far as the Resilience unit, it's top quality and an excellent performer. It doesn't have the bells and whistles of some of the more expensive ones but for the money it's a great value.
Budster is right on the money!

frustratedpoolmom said:
I would not call SWGs "New" technology. They have been around since the 60s!
As far as Intex, it's a Chinese company. Need I say anymore?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
waterbear said:
JasonLion said:
On the Internet the Resilience in ground systems are significantly more expensive that most other brands.
Not so at pool stores where it is usually the 'entry level' unit and often quite discounted!

About 2 years ago they began a minimum advertised pricing policy for internet dealers so all dealers must adhere to that pricing when they publish a price online.

Everyone has opinions, some valid, some just regurgitate garbage they were told. With that said, I will say this. I have had 2 SWG's, an AquaRite on the pool at my old house, which worked great, but also cost almost 1k. I recently bought a house that had a pool and no SWG, and having been spoiled by one in the past, I will never do without one again. But I noticed they had actually gone UP in price which amazed me. The technology is not some crazy advanced circuitry, it's very basic. So I refused to pay that this time. I bought the brand "CompuPool" off ebay. I was able to get the CSPSC36, which is rated for 40K gallons (even though my pool is only 23k, I like to oversize), for about $600. It has most of the features that the other "name brands" have, including reverse polarity, to clean the cell. The cell is clear so you can see the buildup, and it disassembles COMPLETELY for cleaning, something most others can't claim. I have had it for about 8 months, and it has been nothing but perfect. I was scared at first by the cost, but I can honestly say it was a great buy.

str8down said:
Everyone has opinions, some valid, some just regurgitate garbage they were told. With that said, I will say this. I have had 2 SWG's, an AquaRite on the pool at my old house, which worked great, but also cost almost 1k. I recently bought a house that had a pool and no SWG, and having been spoiled by one in the past, I will never do without one again. But I noticed they had actually gone UP in price which amazed me. The technology is not some crazy advanced circuitry, it's very basic. So I refused to pay that this time. I bought the brand "CompuPool" off ebay. I was able to get the CSPSC36, which is rated for 40K gallons (even though my pool is only 23k, I like to oversize), for about $600. It has most of the features that the other "name brands" have, including reverse polarity, to clean the cell. The cell is clear so you can see the buildup, and it disassembles COMPLETELY for cleaning, something most others can't claim. I have had it for about 8 months, and it has been nothing but perfect. I was scared at first by the cost, but I can honestly say it was a great buy.

It's not the circuitry that causes the cost, it's the ruthenium coating on the anodes. Ruthenium is a noble metal mined with platinum and its price has risen considerably over the lat couple years along with platinum. Products containing platinum (like ORP electrodes) have also gone up.

str8down said:
Everyone has opinions, some valid, some just regurgitate garbage they were told.
Also, as a new member you probably do not realize that Strannik, Joshu, and Budster are among some of our SWG industry authorities on here and Aquaman95 is one of our ORP and automation industry experts so their 'opinions' actually carry some weight because of their knowledge and experience!

If you like the Resilience, look at this I-Pure model they make for Intermatic - http://www.poolandspacontrols.com/products/salt chlorine generators.aspx
and if you want a GREAT price, LOOK at this deal they offer - http://www.poolandspacontrols.com/~/media/Files/PoolAndSpaControls/Literature/Try Me Program.ashx

As far as the Chinese making inferior low quality "toy" products, or America making "better" stuff, believe what you want. As for why manufacturers market the exact same product at a higher price in different brand names, it's because PEOPLE WILL PAY A PREMIUM FOR A NAME. Ever had a marketing class? A higher price equates to higher quality in the simple minds of a lot of buyers. The component cost of ANY SWG is not what drives the sale price, its the marketing margin. :cry:

New2Me said:
As far as the Chinese making inferior low quality "toy" products, or America making "better" stuff, believe what you want. :
No, we were talking about Intex and if you ever saw their products catalog they basically ARE a toy company. Most of what they make are vinyl inflatable toys.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.