Is Bleach safe for the skin?

Sep 21, 2015
Phoenix, az
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum and I am totally clueless about pools. I have just close on an house with a pool. I was doing some reading around the forum and was wondering if general store bleach if used in the pool would be safe to swim in? When I think about I usually think of bleach being used to whiten clothes in the laundry?

Thanks

Yes, its completely safe. Bleach and chlorine are the same thing - bleach is just the household name for liquid chlorine. Just read the label to make sure it's not a scented or splash-free formula and use the amounts calculated by accurate testing/pool math.

The reason we advocate using bleach over other forms of chlorine (solid di-chlor or tri-chlor), is that those solid forms add CYA to the water, which is not good at high levels.

I reccomend these 2 pool school articles on the subject:
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/139-recommended-pool-chemicals
Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool

The chemical term for bleach and liquid chlorine is: sodium hypochlorite. If you see that, you have the correct stuff.

You are now 1 more wiser person in regards to what bleach is and how we can use it for our pools AND laundry. :)

Welcome to the forum and to your education on a Trouble-Free and lowest cost to maintain pool!

My son has a skin condition called Hidradenitis Suppuritiva. The dermatologist actually recommended bleach baths. He has the least amount of trouble with the problems when it is swimming season. I believe it can be recommended for other skin ailments, too.

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum and I am totally clueless about pools. I have just close on an house with a pool. I was doing some reading around the forum and was wondering if general store bleach if used in the pool would be safe to swim in? When I think about I usually think of bleach being used to whiten clothes in the laundry?

Thanks

There is actually a wound cleanser used on icky infected wounds called Dakin's Solution which contains a small amount of bleach. It does wonders for some particularly smelly wounds. It's old school but still used and works well.

My ex who was a big time hunter ended up with turkey lice one time, (yes I know that's gross lol, but it happened), and the doctor's prescription was to have him scrub down 3x's a day in diluted bleach water to get rid of them.

The chemical term for bleach and liquid chlorine is: sodium hypochlorite. If you see that, you have the correct stuff.

You are now 1 more wiser person in regards to what bleach is and how we can use it for our pools AND laundry. :)

Welcome to the forum and to your education on a Trouble-Free and lowest cost to maintain pool!

Thank you

& Thank you for the information on chlorine.

Yes, its completely safe. Bleach and chlorine are the same thing - bleach is just the household name for liquid chlorine. Just read the label to make sure it's not a scented or splash-free formula and use the amounts calculated by accurate testing/pool math.

Also, don't get the Easy Pour stuff. Didn't know about it when it came out, and it foamed my hot tub up like crazy... unless you want a bubble hot tub. The wind blew and foam was flying everywhere.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My son also has a bad skin condition and gets bumps before we put in the pool I used to give him a bleach bath every other week, about 1 to 2 cups of household bleach in a full bath and it helped keep his skin clear. Now that we have a pool he swims enough that we don't have to do the bleach baths although it is getting to cold to swim soon so will have to do them again once winter is here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.