Did pool math get an update? TA is different

Because for some pool owners, especially those of us with plaster pools, lots of aeration and SWG's, trying to maintain the old range caused too much pH rise. My pool is quite happy when the TA is down at 50ppm (I have high CH and 50ppm borates). When the TA goes above 70ppm, I start getting rapid pH rises and my acid demand goes up from adding 12oz/week of MA to more like 6oz/day of MA.

Are you referring to where the "GOAL" is listed on the TA row, just above the NOW & TARGET values on the Poolmath calculator ? I believe some changes were made recently to some characteristics that ensured all of those features (Goals) matched the Pool School - Recommended Levels .

- - - Updated - - -

And what Matt said. :)

If you look back over this last swim season, there were probably dozens of posts (or even more) of people complaining that they were on the pH/TA roller coaster - having to add lots of MA to get their pH down but then consuming all their TA and having to add baking soda to raise it. Most folks don't have a deep enough chemistry understanding to know why it does that or to feel comfortable lowering their TA below the recommended range and so every response was - "lower your TA to 60ppm or 50ppm and see if that helps." So then the natural question was - "why are the ranges set so high if it's going to impact me like that? Why don't you tell people 50ppm is ok? I felt like I couldn't go that low or else I would damage my pool! I wasted all this money and time on MA and baking soda!!" (OK, that last one is me being a bit dramatic, but you get the point)

So changes were made to make it easier for people to adjust their TA without thinking they were violating the TFP Guidelines...

Very interesting...I remember lots of stories of those that had constant acid additions to maintain chemistry.

My fill water TA is 50.
PH is 7.8

I have a new vinyl liner going in wednesday....I bought 3 boxes of baking soda in anticipation to get the TA to 80.

Should I just keep it at 50?

Do whatever makes the pH happy. :)

:goodpost:

Vinyl pools without a lot of sources of aeration tend to have falling pH. I would expect yours to be that way too. I would suggest just starting at the low end of the vinyl TA recommended level and see how your pH adjustments go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As noticed, PoolMath was updated Sunday morning to address a few items. Both the TA and CH goals were updated to match the Recommended Levels chart on TFP. This updated also fixed the "issue" of having only 2 of the 3 numbers being shown for Mustard Algae levels when CYA levels are very high.

I keep my TA at 50, and even with a SWG, my pH stays very steady at around 7.4. Ive only had to add about 8 ozs of MA once in the last 2 years.
I would say give it a shot, and see how steady the pH is.

Much easier to raise the TA, than to lower it.

Very interesting...I remember lots of stories of those that had constant acid additions to maintain chemistry.

My fill water TA is 50.
PH is 7.8

I have a new vinyl liner going in wednesday....I bought 3 boxes of baking soda in anticipation to get the TA to 80.

Should I just keep it at 50?

Thanks Dave. I will try it at 50 and keep an eye on things.

One weird thing I had at the house I just sold with in-ground plaster...last fall the TA was 80, by spring it was up to 160 ish
but I didn't add any baking soda during the winter...that was strange.

fortunately I had to partial drain/refill a few times to get the 300+ cya down and that got the TA back in line as a bonus.

Still was puzzled why the TA at the old place shot up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.