Help Needed Closing Inground Pool

Jun 6, 2015
Cedar Run NJ
Hello All, closing my pool for first time and could use some help. I live on the east coast and have drained water below skimmer and returns(1 skimmer 2 returns) trying to blow lines out and having a problem.
Im using a shop vac and when I blow into skimmer or filter pump no air blowing thru returns, blowing into filter pump I get air out of skimmer and vice versa but can't get air out of returns.

I capped the returns by the stair spas and still no luck, I also have a waterfall and slide that I shut but same results.

im new at this so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

When I close my pool I take off the valves at the pump end. I have a valve that I can turn to allow water to return to the main drain or not, after that is a valve that will allow water to return to the returns in the shallow end of the pool and/or to the water fall.

I will take the valve off and put the end of my shop vac (blowing out) into the pipe that goes to the returns. I will wrap a washcloth or small towel around the end of the shop vac to try and create a seal. Doing this I have been successful in blowing water out of the returns. Once the water is out and I feel air coming out I will then plug the returns and fill with antifreeze from the pump.

For the water fall I will try to blow out from the pump, fill with antifreeze, blow a little more, add more antifreeze and that's it.

For the skimmers I will use the shop vac to suck as much water out of the pipes as possible from the skimmer end. I will also try to blow it out from the pump end (valve is also removed). Once I got out what I can I fill with antifreeze at the skimmer and try to suck from the pump which pulls the antifreeze in as far as possible. I will then fill with antifreeze from the pump end as well.

Yankees:

Please post some pictures. Some members have been successful with Shop Vac's, Leaf Blower, and definitely air compressors. I for one, purchased a Cyclone. Even though I have not closed my pool yet, my friends went so smooth. He had 1 MD, 1 Skimmer, 1 Return and it took a total of 5 minutes to plug everything and blow out the MD. It took over 1.5 hours just to add chemicals, drain below skimmer and put on the safety cover.

It is an incredible piece of equipment, but expensive ($320). Everything else, including the modified cover cost a few more dollars. Well worth the investment, but you have to figure out where you will hook up the blower.

I tried using my Rigid Wet Vac and it moved absolutely nothing. My filter and pump is very far from the pool and the plumbing is 2". This could be the reason. I was not taking any chances.

I just got a Cyclone, but have not yet closed the pool. I'm sure it will work great. I used a shop vac last year and couldn't get the main drain to blow. The first Cyclone they sent me had a broken piece of plastic near the output port (part of the case), so we sent them pics and they sent a new one. They never asked for the old one back, so I glued the piece back on and now I have two un-used Cyclones...go figure!

I just got a Cyclone, but have not yet closed the pool. I'm sure it will work great. I used a shop vac last year and couldn't get the main drain to blow. The first Cyclone they sent me had a broken piece of plastic near the output port (part of the case), so we sent them pics and they sent a new one. They never asked for the old one back, so I glued the piece back on and now I have two un-used Cyclones...go figure!

Lucky you. Replacement parts. Think about it. A start up business for under $500. I actually put in nicely back in the box so there is not a scratch on it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.