Skimmer/ Wanda the Whale interaction

numberonenole

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 18, 2009
Woods of North Florida
So the pool installer on my above ground pool said that Wanda's hose should go through the skimmer and then under the collection basket into the pipe. He also said I could leave it plugged in all the time and just remove her from the pool when we are swimming. When I looked at this myself, it seems that the collection basket would not sit correctly or collect anything if the hose was running through there. Then again, I guess it wouldn't matter since no water would go through the drain since Wanda would be plugged in there. Is that how most people set it up? The installer said we could take the hose over the top of the pool instead of through the skimmer itself, but I would still have the basket/unused skimmer problem.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts! Our pool is almost filled with water so we will be starting the pump for the first time tomorrow.

When using a suction side cleaner you should use either an in-line leaf trap or an adapter that allows you to leave the skimmer basket in place (like a skim-vac plate for your regular vacuum hose). Otherwise all the debris will be sent directly to your pump's strainer basket and will be more likely to gum up the whole works. There are some valves you can use that will allow for some water flow through the skimmer and the cleaner at the same time, but they don't work well and I wouldn't recommend them.

Thanks for your reply. I bought a skim-vac plate but it does not fit properly. There is not a lot of room between the skimmer basket part and the top rail on my pool and this plate was too tall to fit. I'm going to take it back and see if they have one shorter.
I do have another question though: with the plate attached, and the vacuum hose plugged into the top of it, wouldn't the hose lose its suction and the water drain out? Would I have to unplug the hose and fill it up with water every time I want to use it? I'm a tad confused...sorry!
Also, is this (http://www.aquasuperstore.com/products/ ... ~4122.html) what you mean by valves that don't work well? And this says it is for in-ground pools. I have an above-ground. If this is a good thing, would it work for AG? Thanks!

That's similar to what I was talking about, although that seems to cycle between the cleaner and the skimmer which is a neat idea. As long as the vacuum plate seals properly the connection will be air tight and the hose will stay primed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.