Close an 18' round above ground pool in Austin area?????

We are new to the area and installed an Coleman 18' above ground pool in our yard. The pool is on a concrete podest. At the moment we use a solar cover that heats the water up about 10 to 15 degrees. We would like to swim as long as possible and as soon as possible therefore we are not shure if we have to shut down the pool and give it a wintercover?? Can we use the solarcover ( kind of bubblewrap) ? do I need different chemicals??? Is there any kind of cleaner for the liner ( at the rail above water!) that helps to protect the liner from getting aged from sun, rain and frost?? To me it seems it needs some extra attention to keep it safe for a few years!? Does it freeze in this area??? Do I need to run the pump then??
I know a lot of questions but had no pool in Germany - too cold -:)

There are a number of folks from TX on this forum. I'm sure a few will be along shortly.

I can tell you from what I have been reading, it sounds like they don't do much more than cover for leaves and FC loss will be less due to less heat. At least one or two swim all year round.

Hi Roundrocker,
Welcome to TFP!

I can help out with some of your concerns.

Not really necessary to put a cover on the pool unless you just want to.
If you have any trees nearby though, you'll be scooping out leaves when they start to fall. That will last for about a month or so. The solar cover might help with that.

If the weather supposed to be below freezing, you will want to run your pump during that time. Moving water does not freeze as easily as standing water. Last 2 years, we had "bad" winters where temps were in the teens for lows at night and highs in the 20's, for days at a time. None of us Texans on TFP had any freezing problems at all.

I dont think you need to worry about your liner. The harsh summer sun is much harder on the liner than a Austin winter will be.

We are new to the area and installed an Coleman 18' above ground pool in our yard. The pool is on a concrete podest. At the moment we use a solar cover that heats the water up about 10 to 15 degrees. We would like to swim as long as possible and as soon as possible therefore we are not shure if we have to shut down the pool and give it a wintercover?? Can we use the solarcover ( kind of bubblewrap) ? do I need different chemicals??? Is there any kind of cleaner for the liner ( at the rail above water!) that helps to protect the liner from getting aged from sun, rain and frost?? To me it seems it needs some extra attention to keep it safe for a few years!? Does it freeze in this area??? Do I need to run the pump then??
I know a lot of questions but had no pool in Germany - too cold -:)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.