Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: partial replumbind - 1 1/2 or 2" ???

1. Back To Top    #1

partial replumbind - 1 1/2 or 2" ???

I have 1 1/2 inch plumbing running to/from the pool ( main drain, skimmer and return lines). Also, there is a spill-over spa with 1 1/2 piping (split suction, return and jet lines).
    The issue is that plumbing around the heater started leaking and I need to replace the line from filter to the heater. I will be using rigid PVC and there are 2 45 degrees elbows and the T to the spa pump. The whole piece is about3 feet long and will connect to 1 1/2 inch filter on one side and 2" heater on the other.

Is there any advantage of me replumbing this piece with 2" or just keep it at 1 1/2 ? Theoretically, slower water speed will have less friction in elbows and the T connector.
    Also, are there PVC 40 45 degrees T connectors ? I did not see any.

Thanks,
    Igor.
    16K gallons Vinyl Inground with spill-over spa. 1.5 hp Pentair UltraFlow, 26" Pentair Meteor sand filter, Raypak Gas heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: partial replumbind - 1 1/2 or 2" ???

In general, it's always good to go with 2" where you can. The hydraulic savings will be minimal, about the equivalent of 3' less PVC.

3. Back To Top    #3

Even on the T-connector when running the spa pump ?
    I knew that 2x45 elbows saving will not be much but thought having 2" T instead if 1 1/2" T will give me more saving.

Thanks again,
    Igor.
    16K gallons Vinyl Inground with spill-over spa. 1.5 hp Pentair UltraFlow, 26" Pentair Meteor sand filter, Raypak Gas heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks everyone - I just went with 2" all around.