1st time closing - have a few questions

Teerump

May 13, 2015
Indianapolis, IN
Hey guys, this is my first closing coming up. I've got a couple of questions to hopefully avoid the swamp I had last year.

We bought the house in March this year and when I opened the pool it was literally a green swamp full of worms. Following the TFP method and lots of help from some members on here, I got it cleaned up and looking great all summer long.

I have a 17'x33" rectangle inground. We have a mesh cover for the winter that allows rain water and sunlight to get through. I'm wanting to know what exactly do I need to do to avoid the swamp this next spring?

I've read through the closing thread of an inground pool, but I'm unsure, about chemicals to add for the winter, how low to drain the pool. I thought I would have to add extra chemicals to avoid the green mess??

Any advice and tips would be extremely helpful.

Right now outside temps are in the high 70's to low 80's, I'm in Indiana, so swimming days are pretty much over, but I don't mind keeping the pool open longer to avoid any problems in the spring if that's what I need to do.

Thanks!!!
Tim

Please read over closing an in-ground pool sticky in this section. I use PolyQuat 60 algaecide from amazon. $21.22. Free shipping over $35. You may want to place a few small covers over your mesh cover and secure them securely with strings. This will allow water in the pool through the mesh and also protect the water from sunlight. My friend had a mesh cover, waited until the summer (one month later) and it took him over 2 weeks to clear up the green mess. The SLAM went well because his CYA, again was at 30. It appears that a mesh cover and waiting too long to open a pool up is not the wisest choice.

If you close your pool early this year, in the next few weeks, open the pool up approximately one month before the summer. This will help you clear up the pool real quickly if you have a problem. I closed my pool September 15, 2014 and opened up April 28, 2015. The water was clear, but slightly dirty. It could have been algae, but just the beginning. Had to add water. One gallon of 12.5% liquid chlorine and 8 hours later, the pool was crystal clear. The CYA was also at 30, which makes clearing up any pool easier. Lost about 20 ppm over the winter due to water replacement and time.

I honestly believe that opening the pool up earlier than most people is the secret. Also, I have a solid cover, where no sunlight enters the pool.

Algae grown slows drastically once the water temp hits 60. If you can keep the pool open till then, you will be miles ahead come springtime.
In sprintime, Open the pool when it gets up to 60.

the others have you covered on the chemicals.

Hope this helps

Here's what I do: Bring FC to shock level. Clean lights. Wait 24-48 hours so FC comes down some. Add polyquat at "visible algae level". Wait 24-48 hours. Backwash and vacuum. Bring FC back up to shock level. Circulate at least 2 hours.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.