Too late to add chlorine?

Jim H

LifeTime Supporter
May 12, 2015
Monroe/NJ
So I made the mistake to have my pool closed by the "professionals" before consulting TFP. My chemistry was spot on before closing but I noticed now that a lot of people recommend hyper-chlorinating the pool before closing which I did not. The closers put a chlorine floater in the pool before putting the cover on but now I am wondering if that will be enough to keep the algae away before it gets cold. I'm in NJ and temps are 70's now.
So my question- is it too late to dump a few gallons of bleach in for good measure? Obviously the pump is off so my suspicion is that the bleach will just sit where I dump it and not diffuse into the rest of the pool.
Or do I just not worry about it, chalk it up to experience, get my pool opened early in the season next year and slam if needed?

That's a tough one. If your pool is closed (pump out) with no way to mix, then all you have left is manual mixing. But with the pool covered, you probably don't want to mess with that either. You may have to just chalk it up to experience, open early in the spring and go from there. Not the worse thing that could happen.

If you have a robot, or could borrow one if a friend has one, you could run the robot under the cover, but add bleach slowly over the course of hours so the robot can mix it up well.

Alternately, you could rent a submersible pump and circulate the water with that. Many home building supply stores rent them and they are available at equipment rental stores too.

I would not add chlornine and just let it sit there. It very likely would bleach out the surface around that area.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.