Need advice for getting my pool ready for closing

waynetang

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
weston/wi
On Labor Day weekend I had a breakout of MA. I did a SLAM on 9/14/15. During the SLAM I am guessing that I probably over did it and had the FC at least up to 50+. I know that I have should have not have put that Chlorine in the pool. I ordered a t-100 test kit, but got results from a pool place today 9/17/15. I haven't added any chlorine since doing the SLAM on 9/14. Water temp is 74 degrees. I use a well to fill the pool. I don't have a the solar cover on the pool. What do I need to do in order to get the pool ready to close? The pool water is sparkling blue and is totally clear. No damage appears to have been done to the liner since the SLAM. The liner is still has dark blue as the day it was installed. no water is leaking from the pool and I only have to add water due to night time evaporation. The night time temps here get into the 40's and I can see steam coming off the water at night. The pool gets full sun. I have pulled the steps from the pool and no one has swam in the pool since 9/14.

FC = 20
TC = 20
CC = 0
PH = 7.4
TA = 107
CH = 103
CYA = 47
Copper = 0.1
Iron = 0.2
Manganese = 0
Nitrates = 0
Total Dissolved Solids = 0
Phosphates = 0
Saturation Index = -0.2
Endure = 9

thanks

The numbers you are giving are from a pool store. What is your testing saying?

A one time massive addition of chlorine is not a SLAM.

Have you conducted an OCLT to prove nothing is growing in the water?

What is the water temperature? We don't recommend thinking about closing until the water is well below 60 degrees.

I did the SLAM on 9/14 and haven't added any chlorine since 9/14. The pool store did the testing on 9/19. So 5 days. I am waiting to get the t-100 test kit. Are you saying that the CC is appearing and then disappearing between 9/14 and 9/19? doesn't seem likely because I haven't added any chlorine to reach break-point, no liquid, no shock, not tabs, nothing. water temp is 74. I have added well water but can't get the pool to cool down. I wasn't planning on closing it until the avg. temp reaches 60. still running the filter over 8 hours a day. thanks.

Got my t-100 and here are the results today. Took them after sunset.
Water Temp is 73 degrees.

PH 7.5
FC 12.5
CC 0
CH 100
TA 110-120
CYA 45-49

With the TA test it says red. It turned light red at 110. got just a bit darker at 120, but not much.
I ran the CYA, twice. Got 49 the first time. And got 45 the second. It is kinda of subjective. I have pretty good vision and can see the dot even if I fill it to the top and stare into the tube. I know I have CYA in my pool because of Tri-Chlor pucks.
I am going to assume that it means that the black dot is not visible by simply looking at, not staring at it. I guess just split the difference?
I put the solar cover back on because I was getting too much night time evaporation as well as falling leaves at bottom of my pool and in my skimmer basket.

Great! What about that CYA level? Remember you can keep retesting CYA with the same solution over and over rather than starting with a new reagent mixture. Did you test with full sun to your back and with the vial at waist level?

I know you want to close, so if time is of the essence, follow the closing procedure Pool School - Closing (Winterizing) Your Above Ground Pool and assume a shock level for a CYA at (say 50???)

Did an OCLT.

This mornings results:
FC 12.5
CC 0

I will do another CYA test at noon today in full sun. Thanks for the tips. I didn't know I could rerun the test. It said wait 30 seconds. I wrongly assumed that the results were dependent on a reaction that was based on time.
Realistically, I won't be able to close it until 10/3 at the earliest. mid 70's here all week and the water is going to heat up, not cool down.

Just to be sure that you understand, The front end of the test is time dependent. Once the mixture is complete, that's when you can retest. Great news on the overnight test. It seems weird that you haven't had to add chlorine for 10 days.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.